Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

87 k5 blazer/ broken

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 1987Blazer, Sep 3, 2005.

1. 1987Blazer

1987Blazer 1/2 ton status

I have been lurking here for a while trying to figure out what to do with my broken down blazer. :frown1:
    I bought it from a friend of a friend and it went down hill from there. I had the blazer for a couple of days and decided it needed to be covered in mud to make it mine. :rolleyes: While I was playing I broke a few teeth off one spider gear in the rear end. Broke a motor mount and the transfercase started bleeding. :eek1:

I needed to get the blazer smogged so after looking around here. I decided my best option was to put a 14ff in the rear to get it running and get it through smog (1 converter later).

I drove it 1 more time and the transmition went out. It won't shift and there is no reverse.

Here is what I have in it a 350 motor 700r/4 trans and 208 transfer case.

I'm looking for advice on what parts need to be upgraded on the 700trans?

I want to put a different transfercase in a np241 or 205 which would be easier?

Would the 241 replace the 208 without modifing the transfer case cross member?

If I decide to go with a 205 what other parts will it need to make it work?

Here are a couple of pictures of my blazer it is in good shape. I think the rear drive line angle at the rear end is not right?

I have a dumb question what does DRW and SRW stand for. On a dana 60 front axle? :confused:

Sorry I know it's kind of a long post.
    Thanks for any advice you can give.
    Steve

118_1818.JPG

118_1824.JPG

118_1825.JPG

2. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

" DRW and SRW stand for. On a dana 60 front axle?" you wont see this for a front axle DRW = Dual Rear Wheel, SRW = Single Rear Wheel!

3. Mad-Dog

Mad-Dog 1/2 ton status

Damn.....what a beatiful truck........damn

Yeh, the rear axle could be shimmed up a couple degrees.

Just repair the rear axle assy by replacing the broken parts and slap her back together.

700r4's are bulletproof when assembled correctly but it requires complete rebuild and several aftermarket parts.

http://fourwheeler.com/techarticles/drivetrain/129_0505_tran/

It will be more cost effective to fix what you got instead of retrofitting a 350/205 in there.

Good luck and don't give up bro, that is too nice of a truck to walk away from :bow:

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

umm I call bull... DRW and SRW D60s are different. DRW ones have large hubs so they can run the same rims as the rear of the dually. Need different hubs and some other stuff to run a DRW 60 with a SRW axle.