Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

87 K5 gas tank and pump

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bc87k5, Jun 2, 2002.

1. bc87k5

bc87k5 Registered Member

I just bought an 87 K5 blazer 4x4, i bought it cheap so it needs work.It dosnt have a gas tank at all, it has 3 fuel lines hanging there and 2 wires.
    Can i use a gas tank from an older blazer, and the sending unit and get a external fuel pump?
    I am gathering that the 3 fuel lines are set up like this: 2 go to the fuel sprayer nozzles, and 1 is a return line right?
    I want to get the truck running quick for cheap.
    would i need a external pump for each fuel line, or , can i hook them both up to one pump?
    My idea is to use an older gas tank/sender, with any electric fuel pump from a honda or sprint or something.
    anyone ever done this or know about this stuff, im used to carbs, this is my first fuel injected fullsize blazer.
    thanks

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

You can get away with using a non-TBI tank, but the baffles are nice to have when you start to get low on fuel.

The 3 lines should be to the TBI unit, return, and the vapor cannister. One pump. To be honest, even though I'm doing a TPI swap, I never bothered to look how the TBI K5 stuff was routed.

If the fuel lines were not cut at the tank, you'll have to cut them (cringe) since at least one of them is a threaded fitting, whereas all the non TBI applications used hose clamps at the sender.

3. bc87k5

bc87k5 Registered Member

I have been looking into it. If i had to, i could use a holley electric pump (i think). Holley states that the electric pumps are not intended for fuel injected vehicles.I found a "like new" 1986 blazer tank and sender.But, i would have to use an external pump.Iceman has a 87 tank and pump,sender,etc.. for $100 plus i pay shipping, so, i am going to look into that plan for now.Thanks for the info dyeager535

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Not to ruin a deal, but you can buy the better and brand new TBI tanks for $112+shipping from www.natauto.com I'd suspect a non-TBI tank would be even less.

Again, I'm not trying to step on someones toes, but I paid $50 for an '89 TBI tank, and the stock plastic baffle was broken, as about 95% of them are apparently. At least I got the correct TBI sender lol. Hope it works. Even if its not, the first hard impact/braking/off-road adventure will probably finish yours off, leaving plastic chunks rattling around in your tank. (they don't float)

Then again, if Icemans selling sender as well, thats not too bad a deal. I guess if you run an in-tank TBI pump, with a regulator (you can do this, right TBI/TPI folks?) you could still run a carb, and have the stock lines/sender.

Wish you were closer, I'd trade you fuel lines lol. Guy I got mine from bent the ends in a 180, so I can't use them, but would be great for cutting off and using in your application if you found a non TBI sending unit/tank! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

5. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Just found this from Dorians other post. Just for the archives, and Dorian doesn't really believe me /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif but I have an all clamped sending unit (nipples, not threaded) from an 87 TBI pickup. Maybe it was a transition thing?

Anyway, I used the saddle tank sender in my K5 tank (no idea what model, though it likely doesn't matter) with a small mod. basically, I needed to "adjust" the indexing lug since the lines pointed the wrong way...

6. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    ....Iceman has a 87 tank and pump,sender,etc.. for $100 plus i pay shipping, so, i am going to look into that plan for now.Thanks for the info dyeager535
    <br>

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey who is the other Iceman here?
    I never see his name in any of the threads I read but when I registered it said Iceman was taken.
    /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif