Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

87 k5 problem

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by K5Kell, Mar 27, 2003.

1. K5Kell

K5Kell Guest

All right guys I need some help here since Im kind of new to the game. About a week ago I was driving my blazer and when i pulled over it blew smoke out the exhaust and lots of white pellets, I assume this was my cat blowing out, right? well i didnt drive it for a week(vacation) and when i did today after about eight miles when cruising at 45-50 and it started acting as it was running out of gas when under medium exceleration.I first thought it was the tranny because it was happening as it tried to down shift as Igave the gas. I got it home and took it for another drive, same problem except worse. under light exceleration it seems fine but when more gas is put on then it starts to sort of jump and a poping/tcking noise comes from underneath. also it has developed a rougher idle that has a strong powerstroke that shakes the whole blazer, the longer it idles the worse it seems to get. Any help or ideas to send me in the right dircection would be greatly apreciated /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif.
    -Kell-

2. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I'd say the convertor is shot. If its bad, it can cause all those symptoms.

John /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Sounds like the cat is getting plugged up. Cut that damn thing off and put in a piece of pipe in it's place.

4. K5Kell

K5Kell Guest

Thanks guys! When it did blow out smoke me and a couple of friends kept reving the engine until the white pellets and smoke stopped coming out. but it still could be plugged I hope(better then what I was expecting). hopefully it didnt plug the muffler with the pellets too /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif. but thanks again.
    -Kell-

5. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

Replace or remove the catalytic converter. Exhaust valves don't appreciate the kind of abuse you're giving it.

6. K5Kell

K5Kell Guest

What about shoving a broomstick through it to empty it then put it back on? this wouldnt effect the tbi system would it? i dont see how it would but just checking. I live in area with no emission checks but would like to have it look like there is one on it.
    -Kell-

7. DukeBoy88

DukeBoy88 1/2 ton status

You can empty out the cat, I had to use a mallet and a spike to break everything free on my cars cat. I removed my trucks completely.

8. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

Yeah, you could do that. But if you bought a piece of pipe to replace it you wouldn't have that huge thing in your way not to mention with it gone you should gain horsepower since you won't have a flow problem in the converter box's void. You won't have that weight hanging on your exhaust system either.

Catalytic converters are good things to keep but once they go faulty I remove them and don't replace. If they were cheaper I'd put them back on but I'm not going to pay $70 for something I don't need.