Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

87 k5 rear end

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by silviato240, Apr 9, 2003.

1. silviato240

silviato240 Newbie

I need to know if stock 87 k5 blazers came with an open rear end, LSD rear end, or if it was locked, and if locked or LSD, who makes it? Also what is the best 4-8 inch lift you guys like?

Thank YOu,
    Alex

2. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

It could be open or "limited slip." (That's if it came stock from the factory and nothing has been swapped in) Look at the RPO codes on the sticker in the glove box. If the code "G80" is there, you have a gov-lock. It's GM's version of a limited slip. Do a search on here and you'll find plenty of info about gov-locks from people swearing at them to people liking them.
    Best kits out there for these vehicles are BDS and Tuff-County EZ-rides. Those two have the best ride-quality and flex of most all brands. Superlifts aren't bad either. Stay away from Rough County (what I have), Rancho, Pro-Comp, Genuine, and some others if you want a soft ride and good flex. If you don't care about flex than the field is open for any and all brands.

Oh, and if you'd be so kind as to fill out your profile, that'd be great. Go to "my home" and then under "edit," select the "personal info" option. The profile will tell us who you are, what you drive, and where you're located....welcome aboard. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. K5Kell

K5Kell Guest

Is this car new to you? if so I wouldn't bother with the codes, pop the cover and check what you are running(lsd & gears). also you get to put some new fluids in then. if it is lsd, dont forget to put the additive back in.
    -Kell-

4. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

[ QUOTE ]
    Also what is the best 4-8 inch lift you guys like?

[/ QUOTE ]

without knowing exactly what you plan on using the rig for...

Front: 4" BDS or Tough Country springs + 1" ORD zero rates, 5" of lift total... nice and flexy.

Rear: either 4" shackle flip + ORD zero rates or the echobit shackle flip (someone said it provides 5.5" of lift, if so, it may cure saggy butt). Either way, you're springs should be nice and flexy and you wont have a axle-wrap fest like you might with 6" blocks.

j

5. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

well yo, the LSD in the blazers 10 bolts, was the gov-bomb, and i lifted my truck useing a 4" rough country full spring lift kit, complete with shocks, steering arm and springs, and new U-bolts, belive it or not, it rides better then it did with the original suspension. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif bought the napa hoses, they worked great, CK5 thanks again.