Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

87 K5 Shuddering Bad. WHY?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BlackK5, Jun 25, 2001.

1. BlackK5

BlackK5 Registered Member

My 87 K5 has started shuddering really bad. Considerably worse when accelerating and decelerating. But still shudders at all speeds. What could cause this? My 87 K5 has an automatic transmission with automatic hubs. It is stock with 111,000 miles on her. Looking thru past receipts the previous owner replaced a rear u-joint at 102,000 miles because of "driveline vibration". I got under the truck and didnt feel any slop in either the front or rear drivelines. So can I rule out a u-joint? Thanks for any and all comments!

2. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

is this a new problem or did you just buy the truck with this? I'd say maybe your hubs are sticking, or one is stuck, the other's not. Also, driveshaft may be out of balance, which would have killed the u-joint and could be mistaken for u-joint. See a local shop can balance the shaft for you, or at least test it's balance.

Ratch
    **<A target="_blank" HREF=http://k5.8m.com>http://k5.8m.com</A> What more is there to life?**

3. walt88

walt88 1/2 ton status

How does reverse feel, the same? Its worth a try. Wheels balanced? Check the brakes? Drive shaft properly balanced?

<font color=red>1988 Chevrolet K5 Blazer, Middletown, NJ (07737).</font color=red>

4. 89Blazin

89Blazin 1/2 ton status

Also check your motor mounts...

85 Burb and an 89 Blazer
    One just for fun, one simply for pleazer

5. gpd4

gpd4 Registered Member

Mine did the same thing - I replaced the U-joints in the rear driveshaft and that helped for a while. Apparently what was happening was that the nut that holds the yoke on the rear pinion gear was backing off. VERY scary when it finally went. The pinion fell into the ring gear (taking several teeth with it) the rear end locked up at about 35 MPH and the rear driveshaft shot out from under the truck and across the street. I'm just happy I wasn't on the highway...

6. BlackK5

BlackK5 Registered Member

Actually, I have had the truck for two years now. Don't drive it very often I guess! It just started doing this this about two weeks ago, and is getting progressively worse. Maybe my drive shaft IS out of balance? Thanks.

7. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I had the same thing happen to me with my 10 bolt. I noticed that the nut was coming loose though and tightened it. Unfortunately a whole bunch of teeth were eaten off my ring gear, so a week later, I swapped to a 12 bolt.

I had the 12 bolt in there, and one day a u-joint bound up and ripped the bolts out of the yoke. I knew that I was getting these 3/4 ton axles for free so I put the 10 bolt yoke on the 12 bolt. I got the 3/4 tons, brought them home, and months later my pinion bearing exploded. My driveshaft fell off on the road and my 35s stopped me from 45 mph in about 50 feet.

One time I lost a u-joint on the highway, I-80, at 70 MPH. I just felt this strange vibration and a loud sound. I pulled over to watch my NP 208 spew ATF all over the ground. About 200 feet behind me was my driveshaft, it had rolled to the shoulder. A quick inspection revealed that the slip yoke was broken. Bummer, I had to get one from a junkyard for 25 bucks.

I've lost my rear driveshaft in the worst places sometime...but it hasn't happened lately, knock on wood!

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

8. K5Jimmy

K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

My truck shuddered until I changed the Tranny Mount.....didn't even look bad to me.....took all of 15 minutes.....motor mounts will also cause this problem, but I'd go for the tranny mount first....JD

Stuck?...Hell no..I still got some gas left..