Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

'87 K5 Tie Rod problems

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by GruntHunter, Mar 24, 2005.

1. GruntHunter

GruntHunter 1/2 ton status

My neighbor just called me tonight and told me his tie rod broke. He has an '87 K5 Blazer, the same as mine. He said the tie rod end stripped out of his tie rod. I called another buddy and he said he had a friend that this happened to also. This was something I had never heard of happening. I've always been more worried about bumping into something and bending one. We're not rock-crawlers , just hunters who are on leases on the same ranch here in central Florida. We have to deal mostly with muddy, and sometimes, rutted roads.

I'm running Pro-Comp 31x12.50R15 Mud-Terrain tires and my neighbor has Firestone Destination 31x10.50R15 tires on his. I am now concerned that this may happen to me also.

The question is: Does anyone make an aftermarket tie rod that will eleviate this problem and my concerns? I've seen an add for a product called a 'rock rod' but I don't know if that cures the thread stripping problem or not.

Mike in Fla.
    http://community.webshots.com/user/grunthunter