Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

87 quadrajet with the ccc ques

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by highrider_44s, Sep 12, 2004.

1. highrider_44s

highrider_44s 1/2 ton status

ok first off is that what the two wires are for the choke /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif i think its wired into a temp sensor. and somehow that kicks the choke on and off /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif but anyway my problem is the car runs rich all the time and i think the that electic choke isn't shutting off does any body know how this circuit works and could tell me how you can test it /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif i'm a little lost on this one

2. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

Re: 87 quadrajet with the two wire choke question

It is really easy to tell if it is working. Just look down the carb when the engine is warm and see if the choke is all the way open.

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

'87 Q-jet? Thats not going to be stock on 99% of the trucks out there, and a two wire choke one one, I have never heard of such a thing.

You say car, is it really on a car? Might be some weird Canadian thing, still never heard of a 2 wire choke though.

Can't recall how many wires the mix control solenoid is, you perhaps dealing with the CCC system?

4. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

choke is just a bimetallic spring that heats up when powered
    it may have a stove pipe to use engine heat drawn in by vacuum to assist in hot start choke pulloff
    nothing as fancy as you are envisioning
    if it is fat start cleaning airbleeds or whatever a Bog uses to meter

5. highrider_44s

the carb is on a buddies 87 t/a and the wires come out of the top one goes to a temp senser in the manifold not sure where the other goes to /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gifit also has the coil on the side that heats up and opens with one wire going to that. but i thought i read some where that the wires coming out of the top of the carb at the front are to add fuel when the motor is cold /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif am i wrong /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif
    i the motor is running really rich and i think (if thats what that thinggy /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif on the top is for) is not letting off and it is making it run rich /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

6. highrider_44s

[ QUOTE ]

Can't recall how many wires the mix control solenoid is, you perhaps dealing with the CCC system?

[/ QUOTE ]
    yea i think its that system /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

7. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Well, on the CCC system, in certain circumstances, the carb will go full rich as a failure mode.

Bad ECM can do this, but do NOT replace it because of that.

idle circuit is the same as all other Q-jets (two jets) however, it is VERY rare that these all of a sudden "change" and start causing problems. Sitting around they might corrode, but not on a driven vehicle.

First thing I would do is find how to test the mix control solnoid. It's very simple, something like listening for it clicking when you turn the key to "run".

www.thirdgen.org is where I'd go for info unless someone here steps up and has the info on how to test the MCS.

Choke is one wire. The drivers side wires are TPS, passenger side top (typically blue plug) is the MCS connector.

8. highrider_44s

ok i think it is screwed because it doesn't click when you turn the key on and it has verry little resistence /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif
    but how hard is it to change do you just take the top off the carb or is it a chore /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif