Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

87 shortbed

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 86chevybanshee, Sep 1, 2004.

1. 86chevybanshee

86chevybanshee 1/2 ton status

im looking for a new truck, my buddies brother has an 87 shortbed on a 79 frame, its got a 350 with comp roller cam,edlebrock intake and 600 carb(id put my quadrajet on it)the heads are shaved or something for more compression or something, headers, just put a new water pump and PS pump, a rebuilt th350 with a b&m shift kit in it(trannys got maybe 500 miles on it), 35" bfg all terrains, 4 inch lift(rear blocks), 10b front, and 12b rear, flowmasters and i think thats about it, he just did the cab corners and rockers over,, it needs some brake work, i guess theres no pressure, and hes bled them like 20 times, he sold it to his dad for 500$ so he could pay off his new truck, and his dad wanted it for plowing with, i offered him 800 for it, and he sed hed only take 1000$, do u think its worth it?

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Probably worth it, but hard to call without more info.

Sounds like a bad master cylinder btw.

3. 86chevybanshee

i think it is a MC, but i have one off my other truck

what other info is good?

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Sounds great. I am biased though, I love shortbed trucks. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[​IMG]

5. 86chevybanshee

i love shortbeds too, i had my longbed cut down to 117.5 , but thats going to the junk yard.

whats your truck got for lift?

6. gonecheenin

gonecheenin 1/2 ton status

Doesn't sound like a "Great" deal but if it has the things you want allready in it and the body/frame is decent, then it sounds worth it. Thats how i look at "Great deals" is how much i will have to change to get it the way i like it, or the way my old truck was setup, etc..... and how long that would take/cost /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

I was thinking of shortening my 74' K20 as well, my longbed is to long for the trails i do, but i don't want to go Blazer because i want to still be able to haul my Banshee and stuff without it sharing the same passenger space as me (tried the Blazer without roof hauling quad thing before, ain't real excited about having mud all over the back of the driver's seat /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif.

Do you think its worth shortening that or just going and finding a shortbed? my truck has a few upgrades (6" suspension with rear block's soon to be a shackle flip, and a welded rear 14 bolt ff) but nothing that makes it really special, on the other hand i would think the chaepest thing to do would be chopping mine since i allready have it and its payed for.
    (I don't plan on shortening the middle of the frame, just hacking the rear part after moving all the hangers forward on the frame as far as i can figure will work. Then i plan on installing a flat bed that i will hack off right behind the rear shackle hangers)

What do ya think?
    Just hoping as someone whos allready done it, you might have some advice for me

7. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    i love shortbeds too, i had my longbed cut down to 117.5 , but thats going to the junk yard.

whats your truck got for lift?

[/ QUOTE ]

Mine has ~6" of lift, somewhere in that neighborhood.

I'm going to be bringing it down a little bit more though.

8. gonecheenin

Anybody got any help/suggestions about my question???????

9. 86chevybanshee

yea just shorten it, thats what i did to my longbed, took the bed off, droped the tank, grinded of all those rivets(thats the hardest part), i moved my front hangers up to a hole in the frame hoping to get it the length of a shortbed, got it right on the nose at 117.5, then drilled all the holes for the hangers, slaped some 7/16ths grade 8 bolts in there, u might have to find a gas tank from a shortbed or put a blazer tank in the back, or find someother kind of tank, but i got like 3 buddies that shortend there truck this way and they've held up for a couple of years

so id say go for it /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

10. gonecheenin

Did you have any trouble mounting the shackle hanger back up? It looks like it will end up on the part of the frame that bends up where the axle used to go?

My truck has frame bounce (when it bounces in the middle like its trying to break in half) do you know what i mean and do you think shortening it would help take that away???
    74' K20 350ci/sm465/np205 long bed with a 6" procomp lift kit, uses rear block's, hopefully gonna be a shackle flip soon

Thanks for the help guys /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif