Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

87 Suburban project

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by texsub, Jan 7, 2007.

1. texsub

texsub Registered Member

This is what I have.
    87 Sub with off-road package (dual front shocks, steering stablizer ls rear diff and tow hooks 3.73 gears) 10 bolts f&r, old tired 350, rebuilt 700r4 little rust and recked interior.
    I want to build a jack of all trades truck(light towing mild off roading DD and family camping trips). I know that means master of none.
    My plan is to fit 35s-37s with 1" body lift and body mods. Then 2"-4" suspension lift for travel.
    My questions.
    The 350 rebuild or replace with a 6.2/6.5 or 4bt. I don't mind the power level the Sub has so better milage with equal power would work. Not sure how the larger tires will affect things though.
    I want a smoother ride so suspension sugestions... 4 link, soft ride springs???
    btw I have 31x10.5 on it now, but I'm putting some 33s (10.5f & 12.5r) next weekend.
    I would have posted in the Suburban forum but repairs ate my join funds so I have to wait a week or so to post there.
    Thanx in advance for your sugestions.

2. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Best advice, IMO, is to spend a lot of time reading here. Then form a plan and determine what you really need. Things like 4-linking a Burb sound cool, but unless you really know what you are getting into and why you need it, it can be an even more frustrating money pit than it will be anyway.

3. KingDuramax

KingDuramax 1/2 ton status

I agree.

My advice for you would be engine rebuild, 4inch suspension lift with softride springs. Get a good radial Mud terrain. That should get you started. Be able to wheel and go on trips.

What gears are in it? You may want to regear if you are towing alot. Otherwise low range may be good for the wheeling you do. My brother has a 90 Suburban 350 T400 with 3:73 gears and 38 Super swampers and gets 13-15mpg with it.

4. texsub

texsub Registered Member

Thanks

5. KingDuramax

KingDuramax 1/2 ton status

Cool. Have fun reading.

6. mxfireman

mxfireman 1/2 ton status

Welcome to the site!!!

7. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

Search my old posts in the Garage. I posted a thread with a spring part number that rides excellent. It is actually intended to be a pre-runner spring for a K5, but I have had my set under two different SBC Subs and they work great.

8. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

He can't use the search function. Paying members only. But it is certainly worth the $25/yr for the amount of info you have access to.

9. texsub

texsub Registered Member

New big prob in the suburban project. My Limited slip (gov lock??) just went out in the rear 10 bolt. Now I have to find a way to patch it untill I can replace the rear. I have been concidering different replacement options, but I'm not ready for that yet. But now that it went out I have to do something.

10. WhiteBurb

WhiteBurb 1/2 ton status

I've got a similar project with an 89 Burb, pretty much the same set-up. I went with 4" superlift springs, they're nice and soft. I just put on 35" Mud Rovers, and with 3.73 gears my powerband went out the window. I think that with the heavy weight of the Burb, it needs 4.10, probably 4.56.
    I've been thinking of rebuilding to a 383 when the 350 engine goes out. It seems to me like a good choice for all around work/trail/camping truck.

11. 54inches

54inches 1/2 ton status

Front: B-52's with stock rears in front = 4" link
    Rear: ORD/DIY4X 4" Shackle flip