Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

87 SUBURBAN --- THE BASTARD YEAR?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by sponsoredbydad, Sep 25, 2004.

1. sponsoredbydad

sponsoredbydad Dune Slaying Sand Junkie Premium Member GMOTM Winner

BOUGHT A 87 SUBURBAN 4X4 3/4 TON. ANYBODY KNOW WHY IT SEEMS TO BE LEFT OUT OF THE AFTERMARKET ARENA? WILL 86 OR 88 STUFF WORK? ALSO IT CAME WITH 35'S ON IT AND I THINK IT'S NOT LIFTED AT ALL. TIRES DONT RUB AT LEAST NOT WHEN WE TOOK IT OUT TO GLAMIS TO CRUISE THE DUNES.HOW MUCH HARDER ON THE BRAKES ARE THESE TIRES THAN SAY 33'S. I HAVE TO SAY THE EXTENDED WHEEL BASE IS GREAT IN THE SAND. ALL THIS FUN FOR ONLY $3200 [​IMG]

2. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

all the 80s subs are generaly the same, there different options in the 90 and 91 years and a slightly diferent setup, what kind of aftermarkit thingd were you looking for that are left out for your year?

3. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

looks like its stock with 33s, maybe it has a 2.5" with 35s /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

4. ratzila

ratzila 1/2 ton status

Nice looking /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif I've never had any problems finding parts for my 90 burb. It's gone from bone stock 3/4 ton all the way to a sky high 1 ton. Most of the chevy parts will interchange. What parts are you having a hard time finding?

5. sponsoredbydad

I was looking for a front grill to start then some nerf/sliders and it seemed as if the years went up to 86 and stopped then picked back up in 88 or 89. /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif The metal stuff I can deal with it's the plastic i'm not sure about. One of the stores told me 87 was when they started to change and anything aftermarket was gona be hard to find fo this pictular year. I still have not found a grill other than stock.

6. zx672

zx672 Registered Member

Don't know what aftermarket parts you are looking for, but I think 87 was the first year they implemented fuel injection (TBI)? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

7. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

87 and 88 should be pretty much the same. The trim and exterior components should be common with earlier models, while under the hood should be common with later ones. The sheet metal is the same 81-91

8. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

Yeh it just depends on the parts you are after. Engine, computer wise they are like 88-91's, body wise they are like the 85(? maybe 84) through the 88's. Pretty much anything else, suspension etc, should be like a 81-87 3/4ton pickup.

9. sponsoredbydad

THANKS FOR THE FEED BACK GONA GO CHECK OUT GRILLS THIS WEEKEND. [​IMG] /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. funkycold

funkycold 1/2 ton status

11. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Most of the problems arent from body design-

87+= Fuel injection
    I think 90 plus= serpentine belt setup + new grill style.

One of those years also changed from 28 spline to 31 spline.
    Some of those years have dual shocks, some dont.
    Some burbs had barn doors, some dont.