Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

87 TBI 305 engine, water in oil, low radiator, bubbling in overflow tank

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by R72K5, Aug 24, 2005.

1. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

ok in an 87 c-10 pickup with tbi 305 engine, the radiator is empty and water is in oil, oil level is up over full, and air is bubbling up back into the overflow container alot

from your personal experience with this same engine, what did you find was the cause of this problem

cracked hear or bad intake gasker or bad head gasket

if i have to i will swap these 14014416 heads(85 c-10 58cc 305 heads) that i have on another engine onto it and use old style valve covers

if the TBI exhaust manifolds will bolt to carb heads ?

thanks

Last edited: Aug 24, 2005
  2. JEBSR

JEBSR 1/2 ton status

Head Gasket

Small Blocks Aren't Bad About Cracking Heads Unles You Have Ran It Very Very Hot. Most Likely You Have A Bad Head Gasket. I Would Pull The Head And Have Them Checked For Warpage And Crakes (just In Case) Replace The Gaskets And Run It.

3. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

even the 87 tbi 305 heads arent good for cracking ? its been run hot and probably several times now, as it burns ALOT of water HUGE cloud of white smoke really bad

i just now got here from driving it across town like this to get it to here, so i can yank heads off

i wobnt spend the 60 to 100 to have them checked when i can just swap a pair of known to be good 305 heads on that i already have, even if they are not factory TBI ones,, i really dont care that they are not, lol i can make them fit and work just fine :D

what do you think

thanks

Last edited: Aug 24, 2005
  4. JEBSR

JEBSR 1/2 ton status

Head Gasket

The Heads Will Bolt Up Fine To The Exhaust, But The Center Intake Bolt Holes Are At A Differant Angle. Therefor The Intake Holes Will Have To Be Drilled To Fit The Old Style Heads. Most Machine Shops Will Only Charge You 10-15 Bucks To Check And See If They Are Warped And You Can Look And Usually See If They Are Cracked. Resurfacing Around Here Is 30 Bucks. Unless You Drill The Intake Yourself It Will Cost You That Much To Have It Done.

I Would Check Into The Prices Of Both Just To See What The Cheapest Way Out Is.

5. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

well fixing the middle intake bolt holes is free cuz ill slot them myself on the drill press, etc

and either wya i know its gonna cost extra if i keep the tbi heads, unless it really was just the gaskets, but the odds of the heads not being warped or something are probably slim

but i dunno

i was hoping to find someone else who has been through this same exact thing to see where the problem was at exactly

if with the heads, or if was just gaskets

also i wonder if bubbling up in reservoir tank would be cause by head gaskets, or if could be caused by intake gasket or cracked head ?

probably just from head gasket leak right ?

no ?

im trying to think,,

i just sold the 88 caprice a few minutes ago, so im gonna go get gaskets and all that fun stuff, and yank the heads tomorrow, i started tonight on it

thanks

6. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

heh, sounds like my 89's 305!

More coolant came out of the oil pan than oil after I blew it up... It hydrolocked from the bottom side, broke something or other, and totally seized the engine up, lol

7. big dan

big dan 1/2 ton status Premium Member

hi i'm new and have never posted but i thought this would be a good time cause i had the same thing happen to my 350 crate motor. what had happened was one of the head bolts pulled the threads out of the block and let pressure off the gasket in that spot and blew the gasket.

8. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

sierra, hi, thats cool and all but did you know what the cause was ?

head ?
    gasket ?
    intake?

thanks

9. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

Dan hi, welcome to the forum :D :thumb:

ive been to AR once, wow you guys have crazy accent down there lemme tell you what! lol

never had nor seen a head bolt do that

thats pretty crappy

that had to of been a crazy fluke

damn.

thanks

10. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

pull the head, and expect a cracked head. if its just a gasket, its better than you expected.

11. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I wasn't able to get the dizzy out of my motor, its jammed in there real good (I think there is a pushrod bent over infront of it or something)

I am guessing headgasket though, it had been leaking for some time already (bubbles in the rad, but no water in the oil as far as I could tell) and it finally went when I was doing some compression braking on the way to the lake. I was about 5 minutes away and figured I could make it, then tow it home later, but there was a big hill, and despite my best efforts, the truck downshifted and went POOF. Two big clouds of white smoke (one from each tailpipe) and she was done!

12. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

beater, yep, either way it should be fine,

sierra, poof,
    killed it for good ? that was it ?

that sux

thanks guys