Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

87 tbi blazer died .... fixed !!! i think lol

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by chvymudin3388, Jan 13, 2006.

1. chvymudin3388

chvymudin3388 1/2 ton status

it died once again been driving it all week and it decided to die last night but i was already in my drive way so i tryed starting it and it started back up puled into my parking spot put in park went to turn it off and it turned itslef off. anybody got ne ideas im driving bout 60 miles today total so wish me luck.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2006
  2. chevyjeff

chevyjeff 1/2 ton status

fuel pump
    electronic spark module
    pick up coil
    coolant temp sensor
    oil pressure switch

1. if the truck is dying when it gets hot and will start and run after it cools off i would bet its ign. related.

2. if you turn key to run position and can hear pump kick on for few seconds when the truck is in its dead mode that would be another clue to ign. failure.

3. check engine light on? (codes)

4. check voltage and connections at distributor

3. k5rocker

k5rocker Registered Member

Had the same problem on my 87 Suburban. The fix ended up being replacing the pick-up coil in the distributor (the varnish on the copper wire windings was deteriorating and causing shorts between wraps). You can check this by disconnecting the pick-up coil leads and checking for a/c voltage across them during cranking. Should be .03vac minimum, but you have to catch it while it is acting up. I would just pull the distributor, pull the shaft out and replace the coil on general principle, the part is about 30 bucks and has a high failure rate on older trucks. Hope this helps.

4. chvymudin3388

ive already replaced the coil, cap, module, and pick up coil will try oil press. switch and coolant temp. switch

5. chvymudin3388

ok now someone else on gear has my same problem doesnt nebody kno wats up im hoping i can try some stuff tomorrowim gonna checl the wires from the coolant temp. switch and im gonna check the low pressure switch one to then ill check the switches :confused: :mad: :(

6. blackblazer717

blackblazer717 1/2 ton status

i hate changing the stupid pickup coil, cause you need to remove the Dist. and press it off the shaft, well on mine you do anywho....

LUKE

7. chvymudin3388

i had to do it on mine too it sucked

8. blazenwhip

blazenwhip 1/2 ton status

Could be the fuel pressure regulator on the tbi. Your symptoms were similar with mine. Suddenly died while driving. It happened a few more times after that until it wouldn't start at all. I checked everything. a friend of mine who is a Dodge mechanic told me about the fuel regulator. Sure enough, that was it.

9. chvymudin3388

it might be that does it sound like the pump builds alot a pressure when it dies? like you can hear the pump loading up? yesterday it died and it wouldnt start untill after id take the aircleaner off and mess with the wires and then it would start but while it would be running id put the aircleaner back on it would die but then i finally got it to run with out it. it would also cut in and out all the way home.

10. chvymudin3388

i think its fixed !!! i hope , i put in an ac delco module