Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

87 tbi running rich

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 4x4k20, Apr 16, 2006.

1. 4x4k20

4x4k20 1/2 ton status

i have an 87 v30 with a 454 its running rich when you first start it even when warm it does it i replaced the 02 sensor and cts but it still does it .. no ses light :confused:

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Look really close at the injector spray pattern. Very likely that you'll see an occasional drip... :( Pretty common on older TBI's. Makes the exhaust dang near burn your eyes at idle.

3. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

I dont know how likely it would be but there is an internal regulator inside the tbi, its possible that its letting too much fuel pressure into the injectors. But more than likely as mentioned the injector themselves are leaky...happened to me on my 87 tbi 350.

4. eagle mark

eagle mark 1/2 ton status

Big block TBI are prone to base gasket leaks. Another spot to check is vacuum line to MAP sensor. What I'm getting at too is vacuum leaks would be a number one cause of running rich. Have you checked fuel pressure? Have you checked for codes?