Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

87 TBI start up

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by TXsizeK5, Sep 4, 2001.

1. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

Long long does it take to start your truck?
    White smoke come out of exhuast?
    LoL it takes mine longer than my brand new car to start naturally but is that normal? Liekyou turn the key and get that Brrrr noise but it takes liek a sec or two longer than my car. My car is like brr Vrooom and the blazer is like brrrrrrrr VrOOOOM! I dont know if you know what im talking about but if you do let me know. Also i started it and some white smoke came out is that normal?
    Thanks

6in 87' K5 w/ 35" BFG muds.

What I need: 4.57 gears, limited slip front, auto locker in the rear, KN filter, Force2 Catback, rear springs, SSR's

2. Wheeljack

Wheeljack Registered Member

The amount of time it takes to start doesnt seem too bad but the smoke @ startup is likely bad valve seals.

3. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

Is that easily replaced?

What I need: 4.57 gears, limited slip front, auto locker in the rear, KN filter, Force2 Catback, rear springs, SSR's

4. Itali83

Itali83 1/2 ton status

Well, if it is really white smoke, that means water is getting in your cylinders, that is bad. Most likely blown headgasket. But if you look again, and it is blue(very common) that means that is it valve seals, Scooter just did this swap, you can PM him and get all the info you need. Hope I helped.
    Ben 87 Jimmy
    <font color=blue>Rust=Bad</font color=blue>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.bens87toy.alloffroad.com>www.bens87toy.alloffroad.com</a>

5. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

Uh oh, its raining pretty hard and drove hard thru water... It flooded today and has been raining all week. umm do i need to raplce anythihng? Does it hurt the engine real bad???

6. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

I dont think anyhting went bad i just drove it thru secitons of water real fast and hard

7. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Takes about 5 seconds, that's only due to really advanced timing. White smoke on start up, big cloud the colder it is, but is gone within 5 seconds.

Bubba Ray Boudreaux,
    Leader of the Advance Party for
    the CSA revolution in the PRK!
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/mdntrdr1>http://community.webshots.com/user/mdntrdr1</a>

8. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

Some white smoke on start up is normal, especaily in humid conditions or if the truck hasn't been driven for a while. Free flowing exhaust or a lack of a catalytic makes it more noticable. Its just condensation.

Pete

'83 K5, 350 TBI (ex 6.2), 700R4, NP208, Dana 60/14 bolt, 4.56s, Detroits, 3" lift, 15-39.5x15 TSLs
    '97 Dodge 2500 4x4 CC LB Sport, Cummins 5 spd

9. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

Not a big deal. So breath out... O.K. relaxed?

Proabably, your Blazer is caberated, the "mini" is Fuel.Injected.. Sooo, they need different starting routines.

With F.I., just turn the ign. key, let the computer do the work. (don't touch the excellerator)

With a carbed engine, Pump it once, hold the pedal at 1/4 throttle and crank. Did it start? No- try again. It'll take alittle while to figure out what you Blazer likes, but don't go nuts with the pedal or you will flood it. To clear a flooded engine, hold the pedal wide-open and crank for 30 sec. and again w/o moveing your foot. Than retry the normal starting procedure.

"White" smoke is most likly <font color=blue>blue</font color=blue> smoke and is really not a big deal on start up. (probably just valve stem seals)

<font color=purple>In accordance to the prophecy.</font color=purple>

<font color=blue>Twiztid</font color=blue>

10. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

Ohh, my brother used to life in Corpus.. (just an afrer thought)

<font color=purple>In accordance to the prophecy.</font color=purple>

<font color=blue>Twiztid</font color=blue>

11. jwduke

jwduke 1/2 ton status

My '87 was hard to start. Took the starter &amp; battery out had them checked, both were bad. Replaced both, starts MUCH faster now. Mechanic friend thinks my fuel pump may be bleeding back, as it doesn't start as fast cold as when warm! I have no smoke on start-up though...... sounds like a head gasket or cracked head is seeping. Are you adding any water? If so, get the back end of vehicle higher than the front end, take the radiator cap off, if you see bubbles, you have problems!

1 ton '87 Chevy SWB in the making!

12. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

Yeah, my fried has a 87 and he said first start of the day its smokes... same w/ mine cuz i started it and it smoked then like i dorve around and i stalled and i turned it back on and no smoke? Whats the deal? Oh well. How much does it cost to replace head gasket or valve seals?

13. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

I started it up again and smoke came out... i drove it around shut it off for like 5 min started it , no smoke.... shut it off started it 10 min later no smoke either... wait half a day turn it on smoke... wait 30min turn on no smoke. Whats the deal? When engine doesnt run for a while it will smoke?

Kn filter

What I need: 4.57 gears, limited slip front, auto locker in the rear, Force2 Catback, rear springs, SSR's

14. hammer

hammer 1/2 ton status

valve seals it takes a long time for the oil to seap through the seal 5 min is not long enough for the oil to drip into the cylinder. 5 hours yes

15. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

So white smoke is the oil burnt when its seeped into the cylinder? Is it hard to fix valve seals?

Kn filter

What I need: 4.57 gears, limited slip front, auto locker in the rear, Force2 Catback, rear springs, SSR's

16. rampage

rampage 1/2 ton status

For the long cranking problem try turning the ignition to start (without actually starting it) to let the fuel pump pressurize the lines. You will hear the fuel pump make noise and when that stops after a few seconds then start it up.

17. dnp89GMC

dnp89GMC Registered Member

blue smoke is oil, white smoke condesation OR water leaking in thru a head gasket or cracked head.

'89 GMC Jimmy- 355, 700r4, 6" Front springs, custom 6" rear shackle flip, D44 w/10 bolt knuckles, 14FF rear. Need- Raptor, Ox locker, '73 tub, ect.

18. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

I should just replace my heads! What kind should I get and how much would they usually run?

Kn filter