Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

87 tbi to 91 tbi motor swap

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by rompinitup, Aug 29, 2004.

1. rompinitup

rompinitup Newbie

I just bought an 87 reg. cab shortbed 4wd on 40 boggers. It didnt come with an engine and the one that was in it was carbuerated. So when I put the TBI 350 from the 92 in there the wiring harness on the 87 doesnt match up mostly b/c its cut up. I can get the wiring harness from the 92 but how do I convert it to the 87 ecu? What else do i need to do to get it running? Is there any easier way?

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Painless wiring harness. $300 and alot less headache.

Harley

3. rompinitup

rompinitup Newbie

$300 /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif I'd rather have a real big headache rather than spending $300 on something I can do myself.

4. 1badv10

1badv10 Registered Member

why not swipe the ECU out of the newer truck? seems like the easiest route to me /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

If you can get the '92 stuff, it will *probably* be easier to use that and splice it in with the existing electrical.

You will definitely want the factory service manual for the '92 though, because you will need to figure out what needs power, when, and from where, as well as what items you perhaps might not need, which can vary based on year. If there is a built in anti-theft system (no idea on the trucks) that can cause problems, as a for-instance.

6. rompinitup

rompinitup Newbie

Thought about that but not really sure where to start. Any links or info. to help get me started or could you explain it to me?