Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

87 to 69 big block swap help!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 6335, Sep 18, 2003.

1. 6335

6335 Registered Member

Need help from people who have done this swap before. 1987 454 with complete TBI is what I took out of a pickup to put into my 1969 Blazer. I marked all of the wires from the computer back and also took out the complete wiring harness, fuse block from under the dash(marked every wire). My main question but definately not the only one is do I need to run the fuse block and the wiring under the dash in my 69 to make the computer work or can I just run everything from the comuter harness back? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

How about exaust what can I do with that? Did alot of searches found alot of good info just not exactly my situation. Any ideas and help would be appriciated! /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. azblazor

azblazor 1/2 ton status Premium Member

The way I prefer to do it is to not use the donor fuse block. I minimize the interface between the old trucks wiring harness and the TBI harness. The only ignition interface that is required is the pink wire to your distributor. Cut and splice that. The tbi needs 2 power inputs from your existing fuse block, and you need to figure out how to input a Park/neutral or clutch, brake switch and maybe VSS into the computer. You really should have a factory wiring diagram and manual for the year of your donor truck in my opinion.

3. azblazor

azblazor 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Regarding your exhaust, you can maybe go with factory exh manifolds - not sure of the interference issues on 1st gen. I know there are headers that will fit - but keep in mind you will need a O2 sensor as close to the exhaust manifold ( if not in it) as possible.

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I've got a newer fuse panel than you do, but I can sympathize.

You can buy small fuse blocks for about $5-10 online (PM me if you want some sources) that will hold 6 fuses. You need fuse panels that accept seperate power inputs, as the injection systems need multiple power feeds, such as ignition on, 12V constant, etc., plus the injector fuses which should be seperate as well.

Makes life easier if you can leave the original fuse panel intact, and just run leads as necessary to an auxiallary one.

If you try and gang up circuits on one fuse, you end up having a hard time trying to diagnose the problem when you start blowing fuses.

Wiring manual for the year injection system you are dealing with is gonig to be a necessity.

5. 6335

6335 Registered Member

So put the engine in and hook up everything from the ecm back and also the fuse block and try the engine? If everything is a go start to disconnect what I don't want untill it doesn't run? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

the best way when swapping an EFI engine into a non-EFI engine vehicle is to completely remove the pass side ECM harness and ECM and put it in the vehicle you want it all in, without cutting any of the wiring. that way you will only have to custom wire an electric gfuel pump and thats it, throw the ECM under the dash soemwhere, or downsize the glovebox liner and mount it in there.
    its pretty easy really

7. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Regarding your exhaust, you can maybe go with factory exh manifolds - not sure of the interference issues on 1st gen. I know there are headers that will fit - but keep in mind you will need a O2 sensor as close to the exhaust manifold ( if not in it) as possible.

[/ QUOTE ]

big block is gonna cramp some already limited space. headers can be done front driveshaft and or shackle are a pain in the butt on that one. cant have the maniflods that drop in the back b/c the frame is in the way. gonna have to be ramhorns which ive never seen for a bigblock but i might be wrong. ive never had bigblock either. headers were cheaper on mine

nathan

8. 6335

6335 Registered Member

So I took everything from the ecm back and put it in my 69 but do I need any of the other wiring in regards to the fuse block and all of the other wiring which comes with it to make the engine run normal.

9. Chris_T

Chris_T 1/2 ton status

Can't help you with the ECM question, but wanted to point something out. Take a look at space and think about a possible body lift - that firewall is CLOSE to the back of the engine. There are a couple guys in the first gen section who run BBCs. Maybe post in there about the exhaust options and the wiring.

10. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Yes, you need everything. There isn't just one wire to run the whole system. If you grabbed all the wiring, you'll know what I'm talking about.

I can only speak for my '88-91 TPI stuff, but it is fairly similar to the car TBI setups, and likely pretty similar to the trucks. But for the fuse panel leads, you'll need constant power to ECM, ALDL, emissions power, injector power, fuel pump power, and probably a couple of others I've forgotten.

Don't think you can cut wires off without consequences if you don't have the wiring manual and haven't studied up on the setup you are dealing with.

11. 6335

6335 Registered Member

The studying up is happening as I ask these quetions, just trying to get some ideas.Thanks for yours /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif