Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

87 to a 14 bolt or? Talk to me Boy's!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Storm Trooper, Feb 9, 2001.

1. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dillon Colorado, Hang'in in the mountains. Renting
    87 to a 14 bolt or? Talk to me Boy\'s!

Guy's, I've read all about breaking a 12 bolt (or not). I would like your opinions on what would be the most cost effective solution for me. I have an 87 that I just put a 330hp crate motor in, have the stock highway geared 10 bolts and way to stiff of suspension. I want to easy the ride, give it a little more travel and go up to a 4:11 or 4:56 gears but still be able to highway it. I have the stock manual 4 spd. and 38.5" mudders.
    I've talked to some guy's out here and they said using a 14 bolt (pre 79) Chevy model 60 out of a 3/4 ton pickup and adding Detroit lockers is the way to go. This way I can get the 4:11 already in it to save $$. I'm not sure of what to use in the front? The truck also has a 4" body lift. I want to do some respectable rock crawlin but also like to show it off around town. I want the swap as easy as possible so I can get it together before Moab on easter. Anyone have a list of the things I would need? Front & rear axles, shocks, new leafs, change in yokes etc. How about a hand boy's......[​IMG]
    Got to go to work now but will check back later, <font color=red>THANKS

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]<font color=red> Ride'in High In My K5! [​IMG]

2. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Re: 87 to a 14 bolt or? Talk to me Boy\'s!

Don't listen to your buddies or guys from where you are at. Just read everything in this site. I am surprised you have to ask since all the info is right in front of you.

3. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

With 38's, I would go with a 14 Bolt FF rear and a Dana 60 front or a Dana 44 with a light foot.
    As far as the other stuff..

I like my Superlift Superride springs. They give a nice soft ride and the flex great! There is also BDS springs which I have heard good about.

I would dump the 4" Body llift and make up for it in the suspension lift...
    If you are going ot buy a new lift, then get the front and rear spring packs, shocks, steering arm and bushings.
    With 38's, I would go for the 4.56's also....

Mike [​IMG]
    See <font color=green>EMMETT</font color=green> -&gt; <A target="_blank" HREF=http://emmett.coloradok5.com>http://emmett.coloradok5.com</A>

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Yeah what Mike said! I'd also lose the 4" body lift if you are going to rock crawl with it. A shackle flip from ORD works well for 4" of lift in the rear. I run a 4 speed too and I have 36" TSL's and 3.73's. Its tolerable, but I want to go with 4.56's soon so that up to 38's will be an option.
    Definitely lose the 10 bolt rear for sure and swap in a 14, if you have the coin get a Dana 60 for the front.
    If you are somewhat sane with the skinny pedal you might get away with 8 lug outers on your front 10 bolt for now.

Rene

[​IMG]

5. Storm Trooper

Thanks guy's, I'm still reading through everyone elses Q&A's but every truck is slightly different. The guy that recommended the 14 bolt/model 60 pre 1979 said that they didn't use the c-clips and where stronger (true or false?). Will the 14, bolt up without to many mods? What other trucks had the dana 60 and do you know if any of them came with 4.56? or will I have to add it. If I don't have to add it and they both come with 4.11's I may just run that and see how it works even though I know the 4.56 will be better. I just don't want to tach out at 65mph or so. The body lift will have to wait untill later this summer to change. I hate to pull it all out if I don't have too and just add the supension lift also. <font color=red> once again thanks!<font color=black> and if anyone else has any thing to add feel free. Mike, are you going to Moab? and who carries those springs?

[​IMG]

6. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

There are a couple different versions of the 14 bolt. The S.F. 14 bolt, 9.5" ring gear, C-clips, somewhat coomon under newer 3/4 ton trucks. 14 bolt F.F., 10.5" ring gear, bombproof axles and big brakes, was made from the 70's to the late 80's (for direct bolt up to a K5)
    The SF 14 bolt was mostly available in an 8 lug pattern, but if you want to re-weld perches a 6 lug was made for the newer style trucks 88 and up I think.
    The FF 14 bolt came in a 3/4 ton version (direct bolt in for a K5) or a 1 ton version (perches must be relocated)
    4.10's was a common ratio for the FF 14 bolt, although 3.42's and 3.73's can also be found.
    There is no 14 bolt/model 60. Its either a SF or FF 14 and they are quite different.

Rene

[​IMG]

7. Storm Trooper

So Rene, Let me see if I have this straight. I can get a 14 FF out of a 3/4 ton that will bolt up but it is only available in 8 lug on earlier years without the c-clips which will require me to change my rims. If I want to go to a 6 lug 14FF, I end up rewelding perches and have the c-clips? As for the dana 60 is it 4:11 and 6 lug for my front or? I'm going to see this guys truck tommorrow and will find out what he is talking about when he said a Chevy model 60 14 bolt. If Mike comes back on, I'd like to know more about his springs. I want the swap to be as easy as possible for now and add the 4.56 and Detroit lockers later if possible. Thanks Rene, appreciate it.

[​IMG]

8. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Be careful buying from this guy!! There is NO such thing as a Chevy model 60 14 bolt!! Model 60 is built by Dana/Spicer and the 14 bolt is a Corporation axle built by Dana/Spicer for GM. These are two totally DIFFERENT differentials. You have the six lug FF axles completely confused. There are no 6 lug FF's. The six lugs are in SF, which is semi-floater. ALL FF axles are 8 lugs and do not use a C-clip. The SF uses a C-clip.
    When you inspect the axle, look for a fill plug on the cover. If it has one, its the D60. But if it dont have one and the cover is all smooth, its the 14FF.