Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

87 truck dual tank ?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 4x4k20, Mar 22, 2006.

1. 4x4k20

4x4k20 1/2 ton status

i have a 87 k30 it runs fine on the right tank .but as soon as i hit the switch to the left side tank it dies . is it the pump or what ?

2. Goose

Goose 1/2 ton status

Prolly the switch. Or you have no gas in the left tank. hehehe

On my '85 I had a leak in some of the lines for the right side. I replaced them and could tell I wasn't the first. Seems to be common problem. Was kinda a pain getting to all the fittings.

I haven't had problems with the switch, but I hear it can be a problem.
    someone should chime in.

3. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Tank selector valve might not be making it all the way to the left-tank position internally.

4. tiny2085

tiny2085 1/2 ton status

on my 80' K30, the left tank reads full, the needle moves, but it is actually empty. It sounds like the tank selector isn't working correctly.

5. Mr.Chevy4x4

Mr.Chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

Johnny,

Being it is an '87, there is a fuel pump in each tank. If the pump is bad the fuel pressure drop will kill the motor almost instantly. Check to make sure you have power to the pump on that tank when you have the switch to that side. If you have power there then check to see if you have any fuel pressure at the throttle body. No pressure and you will experience the joy of replacing an in tank pump! Good luck!

Mike

6. 4x4k20

4x4k20 1/2 ton status

hey mike thanks for that info. but it really wasnt the pump it was the little 2 inch rubber fuel hose that connects the fuel pump to the sending unit itself it was rotted into.and wasnt sucking the fuel. but needless to say i had to drop the tank anyways [which is a real p.i.a ] by yourself and being an old fart but its working now . :doah: :mad: :crazy: :haha: