Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

87 V10 shifting problems

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by The Beav, May 28, 2002.

1. The Beav

The Beav Registered Member

I have an '87 V10 Blazer. 350cu in 700R4. The current problem I have is that it shifts soft and slow from 1st to 2nd. You can notice it more under heavy acceleration. 2nd to 3rd is ok. I have heard, but don't know how, that you can adjust the shifting characteristics. Any suggestions? TIA

2. walt88

walt88 1/2 ton status

Get a crovette servo and replace the one thats in there and see what happens. From what I here doing that makes the shifting tighter. Also make sure you are running the right fluid and right amount, thats about all I can tell you.

3. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

You could also change the setup of the 1-2 accumulator. A shim and/or tighter spring could be used.

4. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>The clutchpack could be worn. How does the fluid look?

5. The Beav

The Beav Registered Member

Thanks for the info. The tranny was rebuilt about 2 years ago. Had 155,000 miles on it. Not have 21,000 miles on rebuilt. It seems to have gotten slightly worse but not much. it has been this way since rebuild. As a novice, what is a servo? Is this an external swap? The fluid looks fine. Thanks for the help.