Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

87 Wiper delay switch, WHERE??

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 87Blzr, Oct 9, 2000.

1. 87Blzr

87Blzr 1/2 ton status

The delay stopped working on my 87 and now the wipers are either on of off with no delay. I want to check out the delay module but I can't find it. I seen a picture of it in a Classic Industries catalog and I know its under the dash but I still can't find it. I don't know whats wrong with me but can someone help me find it? Where exactly under the dash is it located?

87 K5 Siverado, 68 SS 396 Camaro

2. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

After tearing out your A/C ducting (if you have it) and the center sheet metal piece of the dash, the box is basically behind the wiper switch. If you get it all opened, you can follow the wiring from the switch to the box. In my case, it was the switch that was the problem, not the box. Bought mine from (for a '79 K5) http://www.lmctruck.com. Good luck, hope this helps.

<font color=black>'79 - 406 TPI -<font color=orange> K5#5 - <font color=blue>http:// www.blazzinor.coloradok5.com

3. 87 mid canada k5

87 mid canada k5 1/2 ton status

Well i'm afraid I can't help, but I hope someone else can, I've got the same problem. I think you're looking in the right direction though, because mine wasn't working before someone tried to steal my truck. In doing so they broke the steering column and the turn signal/ wiper switch, had that stuff replaced with new stuff, but it didn't help with the intermittent wipers at all. So the problem is most likely in the module you're looking for.

Denis -MIDCAN k5 " DIG A HOLE!!!"

4. K5 NUTT

K5 NUTT 1/2 ton status

The box is attached by a small harness directly to the back of the wiper switch...just won an Ebay auction for both for about $12 with shipping...it pays to watch Ebay for spare parts!

AZBLAZER

1979 K5
    1976 K5 Chalet
    1972 K10 Suburban

5. 87 mid canada k5

87 mid canada k5 1/2 ton status

The wiper control switch on an 87 is on the turn signal arm, not the dash unless we're talking about different things.

Denis -MIDCAN k5 " DIG A HOLE!!!"

6. 87Blzr

87Blzr 1/2 ton status

Thanks guys but my wiper switch is on the blinker arm on the steering column so the wiper delay box can't be behind the wiper switch. I can't believe its this hard to find the stupid thing. I seen a picture but I don't think I am too sure I know exactly what it should look like. That makes it harder to find also.

87 K5 Siverado, 68 SS 396 Camaro

7. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

I have an '88 GMC Jimmy. Is the module that you are looking for about 5" x 3.5" with cooling fins on it? If you take off your gauge panel and look down the steering column you'll see it. There were two modules there one was for the cruise cont. the other was for wipers. I disconnected the cruise cont. mod. and the wipers worked. Disconnected the second mod. NO wipers. Try it. Just my $.02.

8. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Agreed, fr8train. I've got the dash of my 87 apart for a stereo install from hell, and my wiper module is the lower box on the column, behind the little metal trim piece.

[​IMG] Semper Maintenance!