Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

87 Wiring Harness ?'s

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by headcrash0101, Dec 3, 2003.

1. headcrash0101

headcrash0101 Registered Member

87 Wiring Harness ?\'s

I bought an 87 Blazer. The engine was removed. I have a carbed 350 with the harness still attached. Can I disconnect the computer and the tbi harness and plug in the carbed harness. Will everything still work. Any info would be lots of help, thanks.

2. k5guyva

k5guyva 1/2 ton status

Re: 87 Wiring Harness ?\'s

It should work. But it's also likely to be a major PITA. Search around for wiring harness and see how many people complain about replacing it.

You should also get a copy of the electrical diagrams for the model year of the engines that you have, and check the differences.

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Re: 87 Wiring Harness ?\'s

Looked to me on the 8x TBI harness I had, that the pins into the fuseblock on the engine harness side had changed. Someone can probably comment on that one for sure.

You shouldn't really have to change anything. Leave the TBI harness in place, since you may want to go that route later. All the ignition wires should be there, along with alternator. The coil wire is the only one I can think of that would need some "adapting", but since the carbed truck only needs starter, charging, and ignition, if you have a complete non-FI motor, the wiring should be very similar for the components you need to run, just much less needed for the carb setup.