Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

88+ 14bff

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by thezentree, Mar 28, 2004.

1. thezentree

thezentree 3/4 ton status

whats the difference in width between these and the older axles? and why did a junkyard quote me $700 for one? /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

2. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Housing is ribbed for more cooling and the pinion bearing assembly is slightly different.

3. thezentree

i had heard there was a width difference? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

4. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

Supply and demand is more than likely the reason for the higher cost of a 88 and newer axle.
    GM ( or AA ) started ribbibg the center section in those years and made a few changes to the pinion bearings and drum to hub retention.
    The junk yard probably does not know of those differences though - they just see a higher demand for the current ( or almost current ) body style that those housings fit.
    Tom

5. thezentree

but there's no width difference? im gonna be runnin one in a 97 yukon, and i heard that i need a newer one cause the older axles are narrower or wider or something. hell, if i can use an older one without modification, ill do that /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

6. thezentree

soooo...?

7. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

Yes they are a different width, i believe the older ones are narrower, but don't quote me. Nothing that reworking the spring perches and possibly shock mounts wouldn't fix.

8. Masher

Masher 1/2 ton status

I put a 14FF from a '78 in my '96 1/2-ton. Just had to move the perches and shock mounts. I paid $150.

9. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

Like said above I think it will work but look to change the spring oads and also check the WMS dimensions. I think that the independant trucks rear axles are wider due to the offset of the factory wheels.
    You may also want to look at the G-series Van rear axles - they are about 3" wider and usually are cheap in price - a Van rear axle just might be close to the width that you need.
    HTH , Tom

10. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

Yeh i just got the 14ff outta my 88 parts burban and it was ribbed. Had never seen one ribbed before was gonna ask about it. However shouldnt the perches on a 88 3/4 ton burb be the same as an 87 3/4ton truck? I didnt think frame changed or anything.

11. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

They are the same, i got my 14bff out of a '76 3/4 ton 2wd pick up. Bolted right in, other than the conversion u-joint going from 1/2 ton driveshaft to 3/4 ton rear. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

12. Suburbans didnt come with a 14bff, only a semi float, unless it was some kind of mistake at the factory.

13. thezentree

[ QUOTE ]
    They are the same, i got my 14bff out of a '76 3/4 ton 2wd pick up. Bolted right in, other than the conversion u-joint going from 1/2 ton driveshaft to 3/4 ton rear. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

yours isnt new body style, is it?

i guess my question is more accurately put as: is an older 14BFF wide enough to fit a 97 yukon without modification (other than spring perches, etc)?

14. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

No it's not the new body style, but i just reread the persons previous post i was responding to and i wonder if he entered 87 instead of 97?
    Thats what i was referring to, they are the same for the 88 and 87 models. DOH ! /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

BTW yes, they will fit with the only mods being the perches and shock mounts.

15. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Yeh i just got the 14ff outta my 88 parts burban and it was ribbed. Had never seen one ribbed before was gonna ask about it. However shouldnt the perches on a 88 3/4 ton burb be the same as an 87 3/4ton truck? I didnt think frame changed or anything.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is what i was referring to, but anyways, the frame width's are different, i think some of it has to do with the relocation on the fuel tanks to the inside of the frame rails on the pick ups after that little crap the media tried pulling on GM, i am sure there other reasons too, just don't know of them at the moment.

16. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Suburbans didnt come with a 14bff, only a semi float, unless it was some kind of mistake at the factory.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is not true.

Before '81 there was no 14 bolt semi floater and ALL 3/4 ton Suburbans would have the full floater.

ALL big block powered Suburbans have had 14 bolt full floaters from the factory as far as I know.

I have seen Suburbans all the way up to the 88-98 bodystyle with 14 FFs under them.

17. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Yeh i just got the 14ff outta my 88 parts burban

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

18. I have never seen one, ever, in a 454 3/4 or any 3/4 ton Suburban. I have owned 3 Suburbans and my latest, a 89 3/4 ton came with a 14bsf.
    77 and older Suburban's probably did have a 14b ff. What does 88-98 Suburbans mean? Old body style ended in 91 and have nothing in common with 92 and newer. 14b ff from 89 on are different as well, they have metric threads and some other differences.
    Not trying to start an arguement, but I, as well as quite a few people here have never seen a Suburban with a 14bff that wasnt transplanted from another truck.

19. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

Not trying to start anything as well, i was just simply quoting what he'd mentioned with a question, hell i dunno /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

20. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

well, this was a 3/4ton 454 burban and it had the 14ff in it. The way this truck looked I dont think that it was swapped in from another vehicle. Looked like it was a DD that didnt get any TLC.