Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

88+ 2wd -> SFA difficulty?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Russell, Nov 28, 2005.

1. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Hey guys!

My 89 has terrible front brakes, and the steering is extremely sloppy. And is in dire need of new tires. I've got access to a 6 lug 10 bolt front diff, and 6 bolt 10 bolt rear diff from a full size blazer, both have good brakes, and the front diff has solid steering. Other bonus is that they are 6 luggers, which means I can get 16" rims for the truck, and put a set of nice 33s I have onto it.

I don't really plan to put in a t-case at the moment, but I'd like to know how much fab work would be involved with getting the front diff installed, and get the truck on the road that way. If it is a bunch of work that'll take more than a week or so to do, then I won't bother. The 89 is my daily driver at the moment. I'd like it at 2" or so over stock height so i don't have tire to fender clearance issues.

More putting it in as a way to save money by not having to replace all the tires, the steering, and the brakes, lol

Though, it will also increase the value of the truck, esspecially if I sell it with the divorced 205 I've got sitting around at the moment, lol

Last edited: Nov 28, 2005
  2. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

look in the new sheetmetal forum. a few guys have done it. originalspanksta and it think sweetk30?

3. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

yep lots of work. :what: :what: the off road unlimited people have a 2x4 to solid axle kit out now. somthing to look at also.

4. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

I've been thinking about that kit for my '95, but I'm waiting to see some installed pics first.