Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

88 350 into a 78 p/u

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 84CUCV, Mar 11, 2006.

1. 84CUCV

84CUCV 3/4 ton status Premium Member

I have been told by a number of people this is not worth doing. I wanted to hear what some of you think. Motor runs good and its free if i want it. Just need to find wireing somewhere for it. maybe painless? So, what do you guys think stick with a carb or should i got for it. Right now i am up in the air about it. as always thanks

2. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

Wish you were closer. I'd swap you my carb motor for that TBI one. My p.o. converted my '89 to carb. :doah:

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Absolutely worth it, as long as you are up to the wiring and other issues.

There is nothing like knowing no matter what the temp it will start with no problems, you'll never have to mess with a choke, you are getting better overall performance, and so on.

All that can be done with a carb in REALLY good tune, but most carbs aren't in so good a tune that you can't tell one from a fuel injected motor. :)

If wiring is the only issue, great, not THAT much expense, but you start talking fuel lines, pump (for instance) and expense starts to climb.

4. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

Also keep in mind that the flywheel/flex plate and torque converter/clutch are different. You'll need to get those parts from the '88 donor.

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

and the costs potentially start to rise even more... :)

6. 84CUCV

OK does anyone make a wireing for this? the truck it came out of is now gone. The truck it might go into has a sm465 and a 203. thx for the replys

7. 1985_K5_Silverado

1985_K5_Silverado 1/2 ton status

Something like this?

http://store.summitracing.com/default.asp?Ntt=painless+60201&searchinresults=false&Ntk=KeywordSearch&DDS=1&N=115&target=egnsearch.asp

Not cheap! That's the 4' longer version of two otherwise identical harnesses, and with the large full-size engine compartment, that's probably the one you'd want. I'd be interested in reading feedback from previous installers, and painless would probably answer any questions.

http://www.painlesswiring.com/webcatalog/cat-fiharn.htm

8. 84CUCV

thanks for the links. Some good info there