Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

'88 350 no start

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by k20, Feb 1, 2003.

1. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

\'88 350 no start

Well my friend just became the owner of a free truck. Its an 88 chevy light duty 3/4ton ext cab long bed. Its been sittin between 1.5-2.5yrs. Anyway, it had no battery so yesterday after school he bought one. Went to the truck, put it in, and it cranked over slowly. Well figured the new batt was low on power and it was getting late said we'll come back tomorow put in my batt and see if we can get it to go.
    Well today we go over there, switch batt's my truck cranks over slow with the new and i can look at the gauge and see its charging. In the meantime i put my batt in his truck, hit the switch and get one click. Turn key off try it again. One click. Is that the starter or what? It sounds like the solenoid (sp?) clicking in, but the starter never engages. We know it has power because its got my batt in it. He wont have the $$ for a starter till this friday so in the meantime is there anything else to try? i tapped on the starter w/ a hammer to no avail. Any help?

2. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

Re: \'88 350 no start

sounds like the solenoid. no need to change starter just yet. If you know how to bump the starter with a screwdriver, it can be started that way. If you do not, then dont try it. Best thing is to replace solenoid.

3. ZonkRat

ZonkRat 1/2 ton status

Make shure It's getting good ground.Had bad crimp on new ground cable,Caused it to turn slow like low battery.Slow turning usually starter{if battery is good}.Solonoid usually just clicks,even with good battery. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

ok, but for some reason i always thought a bad solenoid caused multiple clicks, not just one?