Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

88-91 grill conversion

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Cavalry, Jan 1, 2001.

1. Cavalry

Cavalry 1/2 ton status

upstate NY(although I cant figure out why)
    OK guys where is a source for this swap. I've scoured every yard I know of. I finally found one but he wont let it go without the entire front clip. Those kits in mags for $799 are a bit steep IMO too.

2. rocko

rocko 1/2 ton status

I found my radiator core support off a 1988 suburban for $50 and bought my 88 grille off the same truck for 40 complete then I found the headlamp complete assembly for 30bucks at my local junkyard.
    I've had good luck at my local yard that I frequent.
    Just keep looking or find someone parting out a cheap parts truck.. I've seen some truck go for 200bucks around here.
    Neil "mudzer" did a great how-to on grille swaps .. don't know if you read that yet.
    Hope this helps.

(updated) <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.rocko.coloradok5.com>http://www.rocko.coloradok5.com</A>

3. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

First, I better correct you on the years for this grille swap so you dont buy the wrong parts. The correct years for this swap ar 89-91 dual headlight system. Check out the article on the grille swap for more information on the parts you need.

http://www.lmctruck.com/

LMC has a good catalog with all the parts you need for the swap, with the exception of the wiring harness. You will either have to purchase the harness from a wrecked K5/Suburban or you can buy them at a GM Dealer but expect to pay alot at the Dealer. You can email me with questions, but read the article first.

Hey Rocko! Thanks for the good words....

Mudzer 1978/91 K5
    <font color=blue>www.mudzer.coloradoK5.com</font color=blue>

4. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

When I upgraded the grill on my 85 a couple years ago, I thought that I was inventing the swap. I used a new grill, headlight surrounds, and parking lamp assemblies from GM SPO, which ran me about $200, if I remember right. Then I skipped the radiator support thing altogether and fabricated brackets to mount the four headlights in. These brackets have square holes in them that hold the stock adjusting screws. I got all four headlights with the metal cases around them from a junkyard for $20. The guy kept saying that they came out of a Probe no matter how hard I tried to reason with him, but oh well. For wiring, I just converted my 85 harness by putting terminals on the ends of the wires that fit the headlamp posts and then made "connector bodies" by applying silicone to the terminals while they were attached to the headlights. This allows me to plug and unplug to replace the lights. The stock turn signal/parking lamp bulb socket plugged into the 89-91 parking lamp housing with no modifications to socket or harness. Then the other cavity in the parking lamp housing was filled with a standard side marker bulb. The beauty is that you can get these almost for free from a junkyard off a Ford, GM or Chrysler! I spliced these in to run in parallel with the side marker lights in the front fenders. The only other fabrication was for a bracket that would attach the hole in the lower center of the grill. I am sure that there are 100 small things that I have left out here, but I was done for less than $250.

"Big? No, these tires might be big for your Jeep, but they're just temporary for my K-5" [​IMG]

5. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

Oh, a couple of things that I forgot:

1) My blinkers still work normally when I have a burnt-out bulb, so the circuit must not be balanced right anymore.

2) The grill that you are looking for also ran on dually pickups for a couple of years while the regular trucks were the newer style and the dually trucks were still the old body style.

3) The 89-91 grill looks 10x better than the mid 80'a grill for both GM and Chevy (BTW: The GMC grill is prettier [​IMG])

"Big? No, these tires might be big for your Jeep, but they're just temporary for my K-5" [​IMG]<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by Blue85 on 01/02/01 05:21 AM (server time).</FONT></P>