Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

88?-91 seats in an 82

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BigJohnson, Jun 19, 2002.

1. BigJohnson

BigJohnson 1/2 ton status

What was the first year for the sliding passenger seat, and will this bolt in an 82 model with no modifications?

Thanks,
    BigJohnson

2. BillyBob

BillyBob 1/2 ton status

I *think* 86 or 87 was the first year of the sliding seat bases. Someone tried to throw them into my 84 and drilled into the floor (bad idea) to bolt them in. It was all ghettoed up. I wouldn't try to "fit" a newer seat base onto an older floor.

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

No they won't fit without mods. The passenger seat that hinges forward but doesn't slide (early) uses the hook to keep it on the floor in the rear, the sliders use a conventional floor setup, like the drivers side.

4. wakedog

wakedog 1/2 ton status

i just put 88's into my 86. Had to drill 8 new goles for them to fit but the new seats are really comfortable, it was definetly a worth while swap.

5. 8BaLL

8BaLL Registered Member

Did you get the 88 seat from a junk yard? How much did you have to pay for them? Was the installation difficult and how long did it take? I cant stand the seats in my 85. I hate having to sit straight up in the air because they will not recline.

6. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

I put some from a 1990 in my '74. I retained the stock brackets. I cut a 1/8" piece of plate that was 17"x17" square. I stitch welded the stock brackets to the plate. Then I drilled the mounting holes for the seat through the plate and bolted them up. I had to modify the lift lever for the back of the passenger seat so that it could recline (still fucntional and works well). Keep in mind, that the new seats will make you sit about 2" higher than your stock ones because of the differences in mounting (I like sittin ghigher anyway, better line of sight when wheelin'!! /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif ). But if you want to retain you stock mounting brackets, that is the way to go. I can post pics if you are interested. It was a VERY worthwhile swap.

7. ol_grayfeather

ol_grayfeather Registered Member

Yes I'd like to see some pics. I've been wondering how to get rid of the seats in my '84 for the newer adjustable ones.

Thanks
    Dan

8. Ben Malinski

Ben Malinski Guest

I installed reclining buckets from a 1990 Ford extra long club van. Arm rests also. The door close even with the arm rests but for a few months it was tight and then they "formed" to the door. Very little mods were needed. Get some angle iron, drill and cutting torch and make the brackets. I used the exsisting brackets from the original 84 blazer seats and mated them to the new ones.

9. wakedog

wakedog 1/2 ton status

well i got my seat form a friend who was parting out his blazer, i paid $90 front and rear which i think was a great deal cuz the seat were absolutley perfect, and it prolly tool and hour to install

10. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

Hell of a deal!! You can't get a set around here for less than $300-$500 (full set, front and rear), and they still might need to be reupholstered! /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif