Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

88-98 4wd steering box -NOT A CROSSOVER QUESTION

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by avgjoe, Sep 6, 2002.

1. avgjoe

avgjoe Registered Member

I like the more solid feel of the newer steering boxes. I haven't looked at one yet, but has anyone else tried to put one of these on an earlier rig? i don't like the new feel enough to flop down $300-$400 for an AGR box, but if I can get one at my local "previously owned parts distrubutor" I would check it out.

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Are you certain the boxes are even different?

I would imagine your '84 has enough miles and time on the clock that there are various worn components that are causing "sloppy" steering, box MAYBE being one of them. (rag joint, pot joint, tilt mechanism, drag link, etc)

If you are certain its the box, I'd check to see if an '88 up box is even different. I'd bet its still the saginaw 800 series, just like our trucks have. Look at their setup though, perhaps they have changed the pot/rag joints. Besides, with IFS, won't the drag link be eliminated, and instead have tie rods? (thinking that cars seem to have tighter steering, even with everything but the tie-rod setup being the same)

3. 95 Silverado

95 Silverado 1/2 ton status

the new style boxes (88 up) bolt to the inside of the frame rail, the old style bolts to the outside, the new style box would be upside down if you turned it to bolt it on. Not saying it couldn't be done, but it's not a bolt on swap.

4. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

AGR is no great thing