Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

88-98 rear dual shock kits?

Discussion in '1992-Present Chevy & GMC models' started by SubYuman, Nov 14, 2005.

1. SubYuman

SubYuman 1/2 ton status

Does anyone make these?
    I know the front will have to be fabbed ($$$$$), but I thought SOMEONE made one for the 88-98 rigs.
    The way the shockgoes through the coil spring in the front makes putting in a single remote resevoir (sp?) shock in it's place is impossible.
    The shocks that came with my Fabtech suspension are WAY too soft...

2. dhcomp

dhcomp 3/4 ton status Premium Member

The way teh shocks are inside of the coil in the front wouldnt' really make remote resovoir shocks impossible, you would just have to not piggy back them. The cool thing about the remove res shocks is you can mount the reservoir wherever, like inside the fender, or somewhere else close to the shock.

As for the shocks being soft, could the front coils just be soft too? I always thought most of that longtravel 2wd fabtech stuff was designed for "desert running" or "prerunner" type stuff, so it doesn't suprise me that it feels soft.

As for the rear, i haven't seen many people functionally run more than 2 shocks in the rear...most dual/tripple etc setups i have seen have been for looks. Wouldnt' be that hard to fab a setup though, i forget who, maybe MOO (who i think closed their doors) had a shock crossmember setup for the blazer that allowed more than one shock mounting location...i'm sure someone can post up the pictures for reference.

With stiff 2500 leaf's in the rear, i wouldn't think dual shocks would do all that much....i'd guess 2 good shocks back there woudl do the trick, maybe some of the good bilstein ones (5100?)

Anyways, that more than my $0.02, lets see what opinions others have..... :smirk:

3. SubYuman

SubYuman 1/2 ton status

Good place to start....

I didn't buy the coils with the Fabtech kit... and before the same ones were plenty stiff... now with the new parts the spring rate is a LOT less stiff, but I am sure some of it is geometry.
    Because of the big block, Fabtech doesn't make the dual shock/cage set up, and I would have trouble on the drivers side running longer shocks thru the fender well because of the anti lock system...

I have had a LOT of trouble finding the right length of shock for the front, after all, no one expects the 2500 to be lifted I guess....