Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

88 Blazer Hub Question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mike2891, Jul 22, 2005.

1. mike2891

mike2891 Registered Member

My hub is broke on my 88 blazer & I thought of getting manual locking hubs for it so I called around to a few of the parts stores in the area & one told me they had them in stock and gave me a price, but the other store said I couldn't convert it to manual hubs on the 88 because they changed something with the driveshaft? Honestly I'm not extremelly knowledged on the whole 4x4 repairing, but i'm learning as I go.. so anybody who can give me any information at all I would appreciate it.
    it's an 88 full size blazer with everything still stock....350 of course

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Go buy the regular internal manual locking hubs , you will be fine . I converted my 83's axle over , Warn Premiums . And later switched to a newer 89 Suburban front axle and the same hubs work on there . :D

3. mike2891

wow, fast reply... alright thanks a lot that was all I wanted to know

4. gambit420s

gambit420s 1/2 ton status

The guy was probably refering to the change in body style that happened in 88 1/2 ton 4x4 pickups. they changed from solid axle to independent front suspension. Blazers, Suburbans , and 1 tons kept the old body and suspension til 91

5. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Yup go get a set of warn premimuns. Or Superwinch. And change them out. They may try to sell you a spindle kit but you shouldn't need one on an 88.
    You only need spindle kit if your locking hubs have only 3 bolts holding them on. If your hubs have 6 bolts you Dont need the kit.

I would not bother rebiilding auto hubs cuz it wont last. And last time I checked new were $400-500.

6. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

yup. Warn's will run you 50 bucks each and last 5 times as long. Just make sure you lock the hubs BEFORE you get stuck so you don't have to thrash through the mud to put it in 4 by.

Whoever said you can't convert them is wrong. I have manual warn hubs on my 88 straight axle.

7. mike2891

Thanks for the help guys.. I went to the local parts store and picked up a set of manual hubs & put them on and the 4x4 works great now... Now as soon as I get the lift on I'll be back to muddin it again