Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

88 Blazer W/ 4" lift (Vibration)

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by pomai, Jun 1, 2002.

1. pomai

pomai 1/2 ton status Premium Member

88 Blazer W/ 4\" lift (Vibration)

I just finished the installation of a 4" lift kit on my 88 Blazer. I used the Off Roaddesign 4" shackle flip kit and Tuff Country springs. it starts to vibrate at about 25 MPH and smothens out when I let off the gas, but starts to vibrate again when I apply power. Other then buying a new drive shaft from High Angle, is there any thing else I can do? tomorrow I will try and lower the transfer case using the 1" factory spacers. but it seems to me that this will only make the drive shaft even more inline with the transfer case which I think would only make it vibrate even more. what about a 2 degree shim installed backwards to lower the angle of the pinion yoke. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thaks and Aloha from Hawaii.

2. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

Re: 88 Blazer W/ 4\" lift (Vibration)

just sounds like a angle problem...what i would try first if you havent already done so is lower the transfer case using the factory spacers...that might fix you problem...if that dose not work shimming the pinion down should also help...a good rule of thumb is both joints should be within 2 deg of each other..and if you get the deg correct and still have vibrations...i would get a CV drive shaft then shim the pinon pointed towards the transfer case...it has takin me about a year to get all the angles right and the vibrations gone...basicly its all trial and error...no truck is the same...just keep trying diff combos till the vibes are gone

3. YtseJam

YtseJam 1/2 ton status

Re: 88 Blazer W/ 4\" lift (Vibration)

Yes, definately drop the Transfer case. Did you mark the drive shaft phasing? If everything checks out ok here is a way to pinpoint driveshaft. You can take the rear shaft out, put a butt plug in it's place and drive it in 4wd, see if the vibration goes away. Also a hose clamp on the driveshaft can act as a counter weight. Adjust the clamp around the shaft to see if the vibration changes or goes away.