Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

88 crewcab sound system?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by k204dr, Jan 21, 2006.

1. k204dr

k204dr 1/2 ton status

looking to put a decent stereo in my 88 v3500 crewcab. its got the dual speakers in the dash, I have a kenwood reciever in it, but I need a little midrange and base for the rear. should i just find a box to go behind the seat or actually put speakers in the rear doors? what have you done? The boxes i've seen that would fit didn't really sound good.

2. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

you didnt say or not if you have used /have the factory speakers that go in the rear side cavity behind the seats (my 89 has them there... )
    I can get a 6 x9 aftermarket in there I think... that would be a nice upgrade for better speakers in this location...

you can put a boomer behind/under (slimline design) the rear seat by building a custom box... I havent done it as the stok locations make enough sound for my needs

3. k204dr

k204dr 1/2 ton status

No i don't have those rear speaker brackets, but maybe i'll try making some and put speakers there first and try that. thanks.

4. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

open up that area and take a look there,,, there is quite a bit of room and some custom speakers would fit nicely in there,,,

I dynamated my whole interior... including getting dynamat in behind the rear speaker areas and up the back to the rear window.. then the whole roof was done in aluminum bubble insulation/foam rubber under the headliner... it really helped quiet the truck ,, alot,,, and if you are doing stereo stuff I am sure you would find a huge benefit from the labor and expense,,,, I did 3 complete layers... 4 from the front seat forward... cost about 250.00 to do it
    Obviously.. depending on your tastes an amp (s) would help fill the void with cleaner sound
    I also noted when I was putting in a new dash that the open space in the center was huge and probably would have fit a subwoofer speaker... perhaps a visit to the expert stereo guys is in order... just for ideas.... truckin magazine is a good source...lots of gen 2 trucks usually featured (2wd) for dash ideas...
    I think I would resist cutting any holes in the doors unless you can do a full hidden install and make it look sano stock,,, they always look mickey rat otherwise

5. 425 Xpedition

425 Xpedition 1/2 ton status

Not sure if they still make them, but Metra used to make a metal bracket to put 6x9's in the rear corners. Metra makes all kind of install kits for vehicles and any stereo shop should be able to order them. I used these to put 6x9's in mine, then a 6.5's in the kick panels and a pair of 8's behind the rear seat. Added a couple of amps and have plenty of sound now.:D

6. ARAMP1

ARAMP1 Aviator Extraordinaire

I too am interested in a speaker setup. Right now, the PO had cut holes in the doors and I'm planning on going with kickpannel speakers in the front and something for the rear cab corners. I just looked on the metra website and I couldn't find anything.

www.metraonline.com