Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

88 GMC Jimmy Newbie

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by camango, Mar 3, 2002.

1. camango

camango Registered Member

ok folks, i am new to the K5 brotherhood, and need to get started on this project, so here's my first questions

- the body decal is missing on my door jamb, and i need to find the color codes so i can get the right paint - it's a blue top gray bottom 88 jimmy - any help?

- i'll be towing a travel trailer - what mods. do i NEED to make - trans cooler, shocks, etc.

- anyone got a used soft top to sell?

thanks in advance for any info.

-lou

2. Stomp

Stomp 1/2 ton status

It will help alot if you tell us your specs on your truck and also fill out your profile

3. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

If you just got the truck, change every fluid and filter in it. Also do a tune up. (plugs, wires, rotor, etc.) Assume nothing has been changed in years.

For towing, you are right, a BIG tranny cooler is a must. And a good set of shocks isn't a bad idea either.

4. MEM

MEM Registered Member

5. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Like Stomp mentioned above, take a second and fill in your profile. Read through the FAQs, too- there's a lot of good info in there for newbies.

1. Make sure you install a auxilliary tranny cooler before you tow. Buy a good quality stacked-plate cooler with a bypass system to prevent over-cooling.

2. If you have a 700r4(overdrive) tranny, NEVER tow in overdrive.

3. Before you tow, find out what gear ratio you're running. Anything less than 3.42s on a stock application can lead to poor towing performance, especially if you're running 33s or higher.

4. Don't plan on safely towing any trailer weighing more than 5000lbs loaded. The short wheelbase on a K5 can cause handling issues.

5. There is wide range of paint colors that GM used. The door sticker is generally a tire and GVWR info sticker. You should have a seperate RPO code sticker somewhere else on the truck. Check the glove box or the inner fender panel in the engine bay. Your paint codes should be on there. I happen to have a GM RPO codebook, and I'd be happy to help you decipher them. FYI, your axle ratio should show up there too.

Welcome aboard, brother!!!!/forums/images/icons/smile.gif

6. camango

camango Registered Member

thanks for the info, guys
    i updated my profile a bit