Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

'88 Jimmy Brake Light PROBLEMS

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 01mudslinger, Feb 3, 2007.

1. 01mudslinger

01mudslinger Registered Member

ok heres the deal, i just bought a '88 GMC JIMMY. all the lights work, headlights, interior, park lights, tail lights, reverse lights, license plate light and Turn Signals, BUT no Brake lights. Ive checked the wires running up the frame rail and they appear good. the bulbs are good. the wires running into the light housing seem to be good. the wires running to the headlights, park lights up front seem good. I replaced the stop light switch under the dash and still nothing. Is there a 2nd fuse for the just the brake lights that i missed, i only see taillight assy fuse. that is good. only other thing i can think of is something with the wires behind the dash. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

2. skyyk5

skyyk5 1/2 ton status

pull the harness off the brake light switch and check for power. then start your way back from there. Also check the travel of the new switch to made sure it is closing the cuircit.

3. Jason4x4

Jason4x4 1/2 ton status

if your turn signals work and the brake lights don't and you have a good brake light switch, you probably have a bad turn signal switch.

4. 01mudslinger

Thanks guys ill give that a try in the morning

5. 5280k5

5280k5 1/2 ton status

Some wiring help for you

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 4, 2007
  6. 01mudslinger

wiring help didnt come up man, couple more qtns. there is 2 connectors at the brake light switch, a big one and a smaller one, the big one has juice, and smaller one doesnt, and should juice be goin coming out of the other connection with the hot one plugged up, cuz it does not. on the old or this new switch. and how do i tell if the turn signal switch is bad. and where is that located? Thanks alot for the help so far guys.

7. 01mudslinger

ok, all fuses are good, tail light and stop/hazard fuse. hazard lights work, ALL lights work except brake lights, the orange wire goin into brake switch has power, white wire goin out of brake switch has power. Im gonna see if i can get into the turn signal switch and check in and out from there now, Any more help you guys mite know i would appreciate it.

8. 01mudslinger

well i found the problem, the connector coming back out of the steering column from the turn signal switch was loose and not making a good connection. Thanks for the help guys

9. 5280k5

5280k5 1/2 ton status

I think I fixed the picture for 'ya. Yeah I know real helpful after you got it fixed already:doah: Can always save the diagram for the future?