Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

88 K-5 HELP!!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by jms0945, Aug 22, 2001.

1. jms0945

jms0945 Registered Member

im looking at buying an 88 K-5 Blazer from and individual and had a question or 2 that i cant seem to find anything about.
    1. This truck has a Turbo 400 tranny in it, the guy says when he put it in there was somthing that didnt fit about the front drive shaft so he didnt put it in (somthing about how the tranny sits) ive looked under it and looks like the cross member under the tranny is in the way.
    2. anyone had or heard of this problem?
    3. fixable?(he says it is with about $200.00 for a skid plate and some adjusting done by the local 4x4 shop)
    Ive been wanting a K-5 for along time now and i dont mind working on one myself but ive never done anything with a tranny on a K-5 and dont want to have to sink alot of money into one because of my own ignorance.

Thanks in advance

Michael

2. J.R.

J.R. Guest

i put a T400 in my 85 and didnt have a problem with the front drive shaft. maybe its the wrong cross member..

BIG BLOCK MAN
    "MORE POWER"!!

3. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Isn't the 400 a little shorter than the 700 that came stock in '88? If so, I can kind of visualize how the crossmember might be in the way (too close to TC yoke). There's also the possibility that the guy put the crossmember in backwards...

Try to see the front shaft and find out exactly why it won't work, don't just take his word for it.

The front shaft was out of my truck when I got it, and rusted so bad inside the slipshaft, it fused together, and ceased to function, so make sure it's tight, with no play in the slip shaft, and that it slides nice and smooth. Make sure length isn't the reason it won't fit, sometimes it will look like the crossmember is in the way, but it's actually not, thank's to the CV joint on the shaft. If length is the reason, start pricing a custom front shaft or shortening yours (probably around $200).

Well, good luck with it!

Ratch
    <a target="_blank" href=http://k5.8m.com>k5.8m.com</a>
    **Ever stop to think... Then forget to start again?**

4. jms0945

i looked at it again today and the guy has sold the orig front axle which has just about discouraged me from buying it
    on the other hand the rest of the truck is in pretty good shape
    other than the interior i am limited on how much i can spend at this time and DO NOT mind working on a vehicle.
    i dont want to buy one already in perfect shape
    just wont be as proud of it ya know
    but anyway
    the crossmember does looke like it MAY be turned around the wrong way. plus im not sure if its wrong but the transfer case looks to be tilted at an angle where it is pointing at the motor.now this blaxer does have a 6'' skyjacker lift so im not sure if it is supposed to be that way
    he told me that the from shaft was too long for the setup and that is why he sold it
    thanks
    Mike

5. jms0945

im sorry he said too short for it not too long

6. 88K5Jimmy

88K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

if you are going to use it as a trail rig then i wouldnt worry about the paint, but if u want one that looks good, 88 was a bad year for paint, at least my paint isnt sticking to the primer in every spot

7. jms0945

yea im not too worried about the paint mainly didnt want ALOT of big dents which it has a couple of real small ones
    my jimmy is my main off road vehicle this one i just wont for the fishing and hunting trips
    and maybe a hole or two if needed

8. jms0945

i just got off the phone with him and he said that he was told that he could just get a different crossmember and everything would be dandy
    so i told him if he didnt mind i would like to take it to the local 4x4 shop and see what they say :)

9. jms0945

i just got off the phone with him and he said that he was told that he could just get a different crossmember and everything would be dandy
    because the new tranny made the transfer case sit too low and that is why it was not fitting because of the crossmember being there
    so i told him if he didnt mind i would like to take it to the local 4x4 shop and see what they say :)

10. jms0945

ok i just got back from looking at the blazer again,
    it has a NP261 case in it with a turbo 400 trans.
    ive not has a chance to look at the specs on the case yet but i believe it is a chain driven case not sure if it is a good one or not
    anyone know?
    thanks for all the help
    Mike

11. Neil

Neil 1/2 ton status

The 6" lift will possibly require you getting a custom driveshaft if he only has a stock one. is it a suspension or body lift, or combination of the 2 to make 6" of lift?

Neil H.. Alabama.. '78 K5 400ci 4x4 AT,AC,PW Cheyenne. '74 C10 3spd/floor 250ci 4x2

12. jms0945

it is a 6'' skyjacker lift
    and ive been reading some old topics and as far as the Transfer Case being a NP261 im positive that is what is stamped on the case
    ive read the there is no such thing!!
    hmmmm

13. jms0945

it is a suspension lift

14. jms0945

15. TwoCrowsDesign

TwoCrowsDesign 1/2 ton status

ditto on the paint problem - my 88 has peeling in various locales, primarily the hood though.

John

16. TwoCrowsDesign

TwoCrowsDesign 1/2 ton status

Most likely you have a NP241, I believe that was stock that year. I have the TC in both my 88 &amp; 89.

John