Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

88 K5 axle seals leaking! Do it myself?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by TheColonel, Jan 22, 2006.

1. TheColonel

TheColonel Registered Member

My 88 k5 has the original 1/2 tons and the rear axle seals are leaking on both sides. Is this a fairly simple fix? Just remove the brakes, take the hogs head cover off, remove the pins(on each side) slide the axles out and replace the seals? Is this basically it? Do I have to worry about the gears falling out? :laugh:

2. Mr.Chevy4x4

Mr.Chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

There is only 1 pin in the center of the diff. There is a bolt that holds the pin in. What you want to do is position the diff so that the pin will slide up and out at an angle so that you don't have to rotate the diff to get to the c-clips. You want the "window" to be accessable when you remove the pin. Rotating the diff while the pin is out will roll the spider gears around and out. As long as you don't spin it with the pin out nothing will fall out. Once the pin is out, just push the axles in and remove the c-clips. Then the axles will slide right out. Assembly is just as easy. If you have any mechanical skills, this one is a piece of cake!

Good luck, and if you have more questions just ask.

Mike

3. hunterguy86

hunterguy86 1/2 ton status

I did it on my 86 k5. It is very simple. Jack up the truck, and put it on jack stands. Remove tires. Remove the drums. Remove diff cover. Rotate the diff so you can get to the lock pin and the pinon shaft. Take out the lockpin and the pinion shaft. use a small screwdriver to rotate the c-clips and then use a pencil magnet to slide them out. You may have to push the shafts in a little to get to the c-clips. Once the clips are out, the shaft will slide out of the tube. then just use the end of the shaft to pop out the old seal. Then put in your new seals by tapping them in w/ a large socket. And then as they say, assembly is reverse. If the seals are leakin that means u have gear oil in the brakes, which prolly means they are toast. My drums were. Now would be the best time to replace em.

4. TheColonel

So do I position it with the cover off? LOL hope thats not a dumb question! I have done lots of mechanic work but never any axle or diff work..
    And also once I get everything back together what is the best lube to put back in it?

Thanks for the quick reply!

5. TheColonel

OK I think I have all the info I need now! Thanks Alot!! Just wandering what is the best lube to put back in?

6. Mr.Chevy4x4

Mr.Chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

yep, once you get the cover off you can position it where you can get the pin out a access the c-clips.

Mike

7. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

Since you're in a pretty warm climate, you can go with either 80W90 or 85W140 gear lube.

Take a good look at the bearings while you have the axles out. Worn bearings can cause the seals to leak.

8. TheColonel

Thanks goldwing200 for the lube info. I will also check out the bearings while im at it.