Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

88' K5 Buildup

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by cgreenatl, Jan 22, 2004.

1. cgreenatl

cgreenatl Registered Member

88\' K5 Buildup

Just started the buildup on my 88' K5.. Here are a few pics...

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

About done with the 60 and 14B. Going to run the usual junk, including:

Ft. 60, ARB, 35 Spline Outers, Warn Premium Hubs
    14BFF Rear, Detroit
    39.5x15x16.5 TSLs on 16.5 Trailready Steel Beadlocks
    6" Skyjacker front springs w/ all the ORD goodies
    2.5" Skyjacker Rears, 2.5" ORD Shackle Flip, 1" Zero-Rates
    ORD Doubler
    SM465 - Got lucky, came stock in the truck.

Just though I'd share.. Any comments / suggestions are welcome.

2. mattjensen

mattjensen Registered Member

Re: 88\' K5 Buildup

Nice Truck! I too own a 88 and just finished with a new motor rebuild, transmission. Currenlty I am working on little items that make the truck street worthy. Wish mine was in the same condition. Pictures to come!

3. nc87k5

nc87k5 3/4 ton status

nice, wish mine had a good paint job such as yours.

4. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

what gearing are you going with? i'd say 5.13's. I have 5.13s in my daily driver with 37 inch tires and the 700r4 and i love it. here is a calculator to figure out your rpm's
    http://www.florida4x4.com/tech/gearcalc.php

5. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    [​IMG]

[/ QUOTE ]
    That disk braked gloss black 14 is giving me a woody... /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    [​IMG]

[/ QUOTE ]
    That disk braked gloss black 14 is giving me a woody... /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ] [​IMG]
    this one do anything for you? lol rear end shot and i'm asking another guy if it gives him wood /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif i need help.. and sleep /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

7. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    [​IMG]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] [​IMG]
    this one do anything for you? lol rear end shot and i'm asking another guy if it gives him wood /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif i need help.. and sleep /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]Oh baby! I'm getting a wood for your rear end too! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

8. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

9. rjfguitar

Hey Branndon...How well does your rear disks work? Daily driving?

10. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

noticed a huge difference at first, but that was going from 1/2 ton axles w/drum rear to 1 ton axles disc all around. I love it, but i need to change to the 1 ton master cylinder next week. but so far i'd do it again

11. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

Do you have a new PV? I've got the discs and 1 Ton Master Cylinder and Booster, all I have left is a PV for my 4 wheel disc.

12. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

i bought a rotary PV but i still havent installed it. i also want to work on the e-brake setup

13. rjfguitar

Hmmm, /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif I'm debating if I am going to go disks when my drums wear out. I have heard that some guys are having problems with them...my rear drums work very well and that is why I am undecided. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

14. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

i am having slight problems, the only one really is that the rear dont lock up but the front do easily, someone explained to me how the e-brake works as a rachet and keeps slight pressure on the disc brakes, and with no e-brake the pads are not as close to the rotor as they should be, so i will find a way to make an e-brake cable and see if that works

15. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

The problem I had was before I gutted the PV I couldn't get any pressure to the rears, only my fronts were stopping my truck. Now I have full pressure going to the rears and it stops great.. well, except for the snow.. I went wheeling in the snow and found out the hard way about needing equal brake pressure /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Just need to do something with the PV and I'll be set.

16. cgreenatl

cgreenatl Registered Member

Thanks everyone for the kind comments. I got lucky with the truck, the second owner had it repainted once, so it's in amazing good condition. Almost enough to make me want to leave it alone...

Branndon - The axles are out of a M1028 CUCV, so they are stuffed with 4.56 gears right now. I had planned on going with 5.13s, haven't got around to the gears yet though.

RJFGuitar - That paint was suppost to be semi-gloss, but it turned out to be quite shiny. I'm still waiting on the calipers, 77-78 Eldorados' w/ the parking break. I had planned on running the hydroboost out of the CUCV, but haven't decided yet. Maybe just a 1-Ton MC if it's easier to deal with.

Got the 205 from a local guy today, now I just need the 203. The rest of the parts should be here by the end of next week, I can't wait to get this thing built.

Anyone need a 00' TJ, built 60s, ARB, Atlas, the whole works. I need to pay for all this junk.

More pics to come.