Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

88 K5 Fuel injection Problems?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 88K5Rhododendron, Sep 21, 2000.

1. 88K5Rhododendron

88K5Rhododendron Registered Member

I just recently purchased this 88 K5... The lady took emaculate care of the vehicle, and made no changes to the stock setup whatsoever (Even stock hub caps). I am not familiar with Chevy's or fuel injection at all for that matter, as this is my second car ever... I just came off of a 73 jeep commando...

Here's my problem:

At times, sometimes when I first start it, and other times when i have been driving it a substantial distance the car starts to idle extremely poorly, black smoke comes out, and frequently it will stall. This is a recurring problem and seems to be happening more frequently now. If having a carb. car has taught me anything... I would say that the mixture is probably way to rich, but I have no idea how a fuel injected car changes the mix.. sensors? Could there be sensors going bad? Any idea's would be greatly appreciated!

Also... Everyone mocks my tiny little p235's on the car... how large of wheels and tires can i put on without having to lift it?

Thanks again!

2. Brian 89KBlazer

Brian 89KBlazer 1/2 ton status

Welcome to the Blazer club! If I had to guess, I'd say it's a bad EGR valve. Things like this are hard to "distance-diagnose" but that'd be my guess. Good Luck and enjoy the Blazer.

Brian
    89KBlazer

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

You might want to scan the trouble codes and see what comes up. I would suspect the temperature sensor. If it is telling the computer your motor is cold when it is not it will run rich (similar to a stuck choke)

You should be able to use a 31 or 32" tire without a lift. Just remember as the size of the tire increases gearing and speedometer error will become an issue. I would probably get rid of the 235's and install 31x10.5 AT's for a non-lifted street driven truck.

Rene

[​IMG]

4. **b**

**b** 1/2 ton status

just put on 32's BFG all terrain KO baja champion
    87 stock no lift...
    and no rubbing

not a cheap tire

5. K5Junkie

K5Junkie 1/2 ton status

A friend of mine has a stock 1990 blazer and he runs 33" tires. I think it did rub once or twice though while off-roading. But for everyday driving i think it does Ok.

http://k5junkie.coloradok5.com/

6. 88K5Rhododendron

Thanks for the help all! I took it to my buddy's shop, and he replaced the fuel filter... that seemed to do the job. We'll see... It was fairly warm at that point... Now all I have to do is put dual exhaust's on her and take out that damn catylitic converter! :-) Thanks again all!

Matt

7. 79Guy

79Guy 1/2 ton status

I'm sorry, I have to ask. That is one of the more intriguing screen names I have seen. Does it somehow refer to the truck? Maybe a color, perhaps?

'79 Guy
    1 Blazer - 7 Children
    http://79guy.coloradok5.com

8. 88K5Rhododendron

hehe... I live in a town called rhododendron... that's all!