Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

88 K5 Is a 700R4 enough?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by paveslave, Oct 11, 2003.

1. paveslave

paveslave Registered Member

I'm running 33's with 3.42 gears, will a 700R4 handle this? What are my options for upgrading?

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Yeah a 700R4 will handle tires way bigger than that(more than a few around here). Personally I say SM465 or NV4500 are the only ways to go /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif. I love my 465 and wouldn't trade for anything but an NV4500.

3. paveslave

Pardon my ignorance, are those manual boxes?

4. micah

micah 1/2 ton status

the tranny will handle it fine. the question is do you have an auxiliary cooler on it? if not, get one... most people recommend this one...

B&M Super Cooler

5. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    Pardon my ignorance, are those manual boxes?

[/ QUOTE ]
    yes they are /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

It should do just fine, plus the 88' 700 is better than the 86' and earlier th700's I have a built 700 with bigger tires than yours and it is fine. I would put either a shift kit or a corvette servo on it. That would really help it's durability and make the clutches last longer.

7. paveslave

No I don't have an aux cooler. Am looking at ordering a Monster Minion 700r with Corvette servo. The tires were upgraded from 235/75's (about 29") in July so the tranny hasn't had the added strain very long.

8. paveslave

Thanks for the enlightenment on the boxes.

9. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Your money would be much better spent changing axle gears than upgrading your tranny (assuming it works now). 4.10 gears will be good with 33" tires but if you want to go bigger later go with 4.56.

10. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

With a good cooler and Regular fluid changes it should do ok
    But
    In my opinion I think you should do the gears first Too. I have a 89 700 with 3.73 GR and 33" tires.Been running this combo pretty hard for many years now. I would not want to run lower gears than the 3.73. Espically if my engine was still stock.I would go with 4.10 for a good all around gear with 33" and stock motor.
    Rather than change my gear ratio I built my engine /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif.

11. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Im running my 700R4 with 3.73 and 35" BFG Mt's. Of course, my bfg's are closer to 33.5" true height on the ground. Anyways, it all depends. I acutally like it eith 3.73's, and on my 600+ mile trek back and forth to NC, I got around 15-16mpg on the highway. I do a lot of highway cruising at around 70mph, its my perfect gear ratio.

Oh yeah, I didnt realize how much heat my tranny produced, until I put in a stacked plate cooler. I kept the old tube finned one as well, as well as the one through the radiator. But ever since I've put it in, my tranny fluid looks, smells, and even tastes (just kidding) like new.

12. reeser

reeser 1/2 ton status

yes a properly built 700r4 will handle my 454 1 ton's w/4.56's and 39's no prob!!!

ps KEEP IT COOL!!!!!!!!!!!

13. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

the 700r4 is a great transmission IMO, especially for those of us that want/need OD. To keep the beast running well though, you need mad cooling. I'd recommend the big stacked plate B&M cooler... 28,000# gvw model is $53 or so at summit and WELL worth the cost. I also think its worth the $ to install a remote filter and tranny temp guage. Summit sells these as a kit for $80 and its well worth the price IMO. I think the cooler/filter/temp guage combo + some good synthetic tranny fluid is the best way to extend the life of your 700R4. they are good trannys, so long as you give em the nice cool fluid that they need.

j

14. paveslave

I've lost 3rd and 4th gears for a second time (rebuilt a year ago), so I may as well put something better than stock in it.

15. micah

micah 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I've lost 3rd and 4th gears for a second time (rebuilt a year ago), so I may as well put something better than stock in it.

[/ QUOTE ]

What tranny cooler do you have installed? And who setup your TV cable. Those two things are what matters most in the life of a 700r4.