Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

88 k5 tbi issues

Discussion in 'The Injection Section' started by Txchevy18, Mar 25, 2007.

1. Txchevy18

Txchevy18 1/2 ton status

Ok guys ive got a problem and since im new to fuel injection I thought I would post up and see if I can gain some knowledge and prevent myself from throwing cash at the problem. Well here goes, next friday i am buying my old boss's 88 k5. The guy that he loaned it to "blew the motor, So im getting a great price on it. Well I just cant belive its blown. It will turn over with no problems or strange noises. Theres no water in the oil and, fuel pump is brand new. From what i understand the story is that the guy went offroad on the beach, got it stuck, and then got out. About a 1/2 a mile away it just died and now they cant get it to run. To me I would think that its a electrical problem. He swears its blown and thats fine w/ me since the price is about a grand less that what i was oringinaly going to pay for it. Though if worst comes to worst i have a newer tbi motor w/ a carb conversion from a caprice that I can throw in there out of my 83 k5 parts truck.

Just for reference the specs on the truck are: 10bolt/sbc350 tbi/ 700r4(just rebuilt 2 weeks ago/np208( freshen up as well/10bolt rear.

Thanks in advance guys,
    Cory

2. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

The first thing to check for is spark. The GM ignition modules go bad on a regular basis.

3. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Yup check for spark. also FYI If there is no spark the ECM will also shut the fuel pump down.

A few other things to check:
    If you have good spark.
    listen for the fuel pump running It should turn on for a few seconds then stop when the ignition is turned to on position.
    If you cant hear the FP running the FP relay may be bad, But usually the vehicle will run if the FP relay goes. It will be hard to start.
    The FP may be bad but you said it was new.
    Also there is an oil pressure switch located on the back of the block by the dist. If it sees no oil pressure it will shut off the fuel pump. It may be bad or got disconnected.

4. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

People keep getting confused about that switch. That switch allows the fuel pump to continue working if the fuel pump relay goes bad so long as there is oil pressure.