Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

88 suburban 3/4 ton lift/tire questions

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by gar, Mar 6, 2005.

1. gar

gar Registered Member

hi all -- just purchased a 3/4 ton 88 'burban.

So my first question is what's the maximum tire size that I can run stock (WITH trimming as necessary)? Would 35"'s fiit? Larger even? Ideally, I'd be running a more narrow tire, nothing too wide.

Thanks!!!

-Garrett

2. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

255/85R16 (33") fit my crewcab without any lift or trimming. I bet you could jam a Q78 Swamper, or a 9.00R16 Michelin on there with a little trimming. ;)

3. mtn. burb

mtn. burb 1/2 ton status

Congrat's! As far as tire size, the actual height vs. listed size / height vary among manufacturers. I'd try 33's, 35's. Measure the actual tire on a friends truck. As for trimming...that's the spirit we love here!!:D

I've used sawzalls, but now prefer using a cutoff wheel. 4" wheel for cutting steel works great.

4. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

the tire sizes go way up when you are willing to shed some sheet metal... i know theres couple of guys on here with 6 inch lifts running 44's.

5. gar

gar Registered Member

so far, I like what I'm hearing -- so my next question is, should I stick with 16.5" wheels, or can I drop down to 16" or 15" (remember that this is a 3/4 ton truck)? If I do stick with 16.5", anyone have any experience with the H1 wheels with beadlocks/runflat inserts?

6. 4trolls

4trolls 1/2 ton status

I ran 35 bfgs with 3" body lift and it rubbed....alot .with 5" lift (3 body 2 addaleaf) 0 rub ,now as for the 39.5s I had to cut some metal but its still just 5"lift

7. gar

gar Registered Member

but when you had the 35's and it rubbed, that was without cutting, yes?

-Garrett

8. ratzila

ratzila 1/2 ton status

When I got my 90 burb it was bone stock. The first thing I did was buy 33x12.5x16.5 wild country mts on 16.5x9.75 wheels. I had to trim the fenders to keep it from rubbing. You could probably get away with a add-a-leaf for the the front.

9. gar

gar Registered Member

Well, I figured that the 33"'s would work, as a friend's blazer has 33's at stock ride height.

Is there any reason you went with the 16.5" wheel? Could I actually use either a 15 or 16 inch rim, or are those impossible to find in 8 lug?

10. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

Since you said you liked skinny tires.... the Q78 Swamper comes in both 15" and 16". The Michelins are 16" or 20". 15" wheels seem to have the widest selection of tires though.

11. ratzila

ratzila 1/2 ton status

My truck started out as a 3/4 ton so the 16.5 were an easy find.
    With the 15" you will have to grind the front calipers a little and the 16" are actually factory wheels.

12. gar

gar Registered Member

ahh! Mystery solved.

So generally, would it be correct to say that 16" is a better wheel to go with due to the ability to hold a bead better than a 16.5? Is there any advantage to be had by going to a 16.5" wheel over the 16, or is it purely an issue of what's available in 8 lug?

13. ratzila

ratzila 1/2 ton status

Well the 16" used to be hard to find because the mfg. did not offer many wheels in that size. Now all the companies are building them. It seems like the 16.5 are now becoming extinct as most companies are going to 17's and bigger:mad:

14. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

rim choice.

15 inch rims would rub the calipers i believe on the front.back would be fine.16 inch rims are found pretty cheap if you get steal wheels.i got mine for 40 apiece.if you are going to get tires anyway,you can get a package with rims for cheaper than buying them separate.i have 16.5 inch rims and havnt had the problems that people say with them losing a bead when aired down.if you are affraid of that go with a 16 inch rim.the bead is a 90 degree the same as a 15 inch rim.as for tires you could go woth 35's and trim some fender.ithink even with 33's it will rub a little when fully stuffed.4 inch lift is pretty cheap.or you could do add a leaves.good luck and congrats on the new ride.

15. blazerpro79

blazerpro79 1/2 ton status

i have 2" adda leafs from tuff country if you want them. they are brand new, never been on a truck, i completly am going about lifting my truck a different way now so i dont need them

16. gar

gar Registered Member

the add-a-leafs sound cool, but given that you're in SoCal, the cost of gas would probably exceed the cost of the leafs! :)

Anyways, if I did decide to go with 35's, would they fit on the 'burban well enough to where I could drive on the street until I was able to get the fenders trimmed up? Just trying to avoid purchasing another set of wheels.

-G

17. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Those for the rear. If so, PM me.