Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

88 Suburban accessory brackets

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by RunRiot, Dec 22, 2002.

1. RunRiot

RunRiot Newbie

I recently purchased an 88 Suburban (1500, 2WD, TBI 350) with a bad engine. I've got the new engine installed, but we're having some trouble figuring out some of the accessory brackets. I know where all the accessories go, but some of the pulleys are not lining up correctly. I could space some of the stuff out with washers, but it just doesn't seem right, I don't think the factory would have shimmed anything. I even have a left-over small brace that doesn't really fit right anywhere.

The main problem is that I didn't disassemble it; the previous owner took everything out and let the truck sit for over a year before I bought it. I have two manuals, but they cover such a wide range of years (Haynes 67-91, Chilton 1988-98) and different trucks that they don't have any information or pictures specific to mine. Also, the dealer was useless. I got them to print me out some exploded parts diagrams based on my VIN#, but some of the stuff on there is obviously wrong.

Anyway, if somebody has or knows somebody with an 88 'Burb like mine, and could email me some detailed pics of the accessories and brackets (particularly where stuff bolts together), I'd really appreciate it. I really need to get this thing on the road (truck is in a friend's garage in Manassas, VA, and I think I'm wearing out my welcome!). I'm willing to drive pretty much anywhere within 2 hours of Washington DC to take a look myself. If you can help, please contact me via private email.

2. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

Is it the combo serpantine-V belt system or the complete serpantine system? Air conditioning? Small or Big block?

3. RunRiot

RunRiot Newbie

Small block 350 (TBI), 1 serpentine belt, 3 V-belts, has A/C and AIR pump.

4. Sandman

Shoot, Mines a Big block combo setup. the brackets hook up different for the powersteering and maybe the air.

5. Sandman

I wonder if you could go to a car lot and find a similer vehicle?