Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

88 suburban front end loose in hubs?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by xpndbl3, Oct 30, 2006.

1. xpndbl3

xpndbl3 1/2 ton status

I've been hearing some noises every now and then from the front end of my 88 3/4 ton suburban. I pulled off the rims today and the front hub section can move up and down quite a bit and it isn't the ball joints as I checked for movement in them and it seems like it's almost coming from somewhere behind that 4x4 cap. When I bought the truck in california last june I had it checked out by a shop and they said they had to repack that same wheel bearing since it had extra play. My chilton manual doesn't have any pictures to show me how to actually tighten that up, replace the bearings, etc. Can anyone point me in the right direction on how to do this. I'd actually like to swap to warn hubs from the automatic factory ones at the same time if I'm removing the same parts at the same time. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Confedneck79K30

Confedneck79K30 3/4 ton status

get a set of warn hubs and some new wheel bearings,seals and races and the instructions for the hubs are in the package and the bearings and races are a couple steps away...

3. xpndbl3

xpndbl3 1/2 ton status

so what all would have to be removed to do the wheel bearings in addition then?

4. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

you need a special sockit to remove the sloted nut, or a hammer and a small drift to tap the nut around. after you put the auto locking hub

5. k204dr

k204dr 1/2 ton status

go buy a chilton manual, it will show a breakdown to help you get it apart. alot easier than deciphering someone writing how to do it.

6. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

Agreed. And it will have all the necessary torque specs, too.

7. xpndbl3

xpndbl3 1/2 ton status

i have a chilton manual for 73-87 trucks and it doesn't have any breakdowns or pictures in it for this. I even checked out a haynes manual at the store hoping it might be in there instead, but no luck

8. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

'87 pickups are the same as '88 Burbs. The info should be in there.

9. xpndbl3

xpndbl3 1/2 ton status

i'll recheck the book again today and see if I'm just missing that section.

10. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

Check in the Brakes section, Suspension section and Axle section. It could be in any of them.

11. xpndbl3

xpndbl3 1/2 ton status

will any brand work or do you all recommend a certain place? I know to avoid chinese parts compared to made in USA, but a lot of stores only carry one brand.

12. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

Timken is usually a safe bet. Autozone carries them.

13. xpndbl3

xpndbl3 1/2 ton status

will i need a new spindle lock nut as well? or is this a non wear item? Also autozone doesn't sell an outer wheel bearing race, is there one?

14. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

one of the bearings comes with the race the other does not. Thats why there is not a seperate listing. It doesn't make any sense why they do that. Everyone I have bought is like that.

15. resurrected_jimmy

resurrected_jimmy 1/2 ton status

what he said and the spindle lock nuts are non-wear items, get a new hub seal while your at it.

16. xpndbl3

xpndbl3 1/2 ton status

ok thanks, i'll be picking these up tomorrow and ordering my warn hubs as well.

17. xpndbl3

xpndbl3 1/2 ton status

ok got the warn hubs today and they sold me some spindle nut conversion kit or something, has a few washer with tab looking pieces, did I even need this kit for any reason? I got the warn premium hubs if that matters or not. The kit talks about dana 30s, 44s, but no mention of the 10 bolt like my 88 3/4 ton burb has.

18. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

10-bolt is the same as D44 (where hubs are concerned).

19. xpndbl3

xpndbl3 1/2 ton status

it says the kit is needed if i have a 3 hole hub, what exactly is that? It states "if you're auto hubs are 3 hole then get conversion kit...XXXX" which I bought that was another $60 on top of the $90 for the premium hubs. Oh and thanks for the help on all this goldwing I appreciate it.

20. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

No sweat. That's what we're here for. :D

No idea what a 3-hole hub is. All I can think of is the drive flanges for the NP203 system that would require an additional part-time kit for the transfer case. Ditto for the "spindle nut conversion kit". Those were only on older vehicles, though. On an '88, you shouldn't need any parts other than the hub kits.