Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

88 Suburban power distribution wire diagram question

Discussion in '1936-Present Suburban' started by jimmy88, Aug 21, 2003.

1. jimmy88

jimmy88 1/2 ton status

For the 88 Sub with LO5 (350 TBI) the factory wiring diagrams only show a SI alternator. The truck came stock with a CS-130 alt, which has a brown wire and a pink/black wire on the plug. I assume the brown goes to the ignition switch. Where does the pink/black wire go to? There seems to be a few different pink/black splices it could go to.

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

If the brown wire goes to the ignition, then the other wire goes down to the starter-solenoid /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. funkycold

funkycold 1/2 ton status

I got this from the Haynes book. Hope it helps.
    I know it may be a little blurry, but i tried. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

charging system wire diagram

4. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Link doesn't work, you need to log out of your webshots first /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. funkycold

funkycold 1/2 ton status

link fixed /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Thanks!

6. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

is it a 20 series? They are wired different with the 105 amp alternator. It has a 8 gage straight to the battery. There is a second lead off the main power out that either goes to the starter or the Fuse box. Two wires on the feild plug, one is switched for feild and I think the other goes to the volt meter. I have a factory repair manual but not the electrical manual.

7. jimmy88

jimmy88 1/2 ton status

It's a GMC ½ ton 4x4 and has the trailer wiring and rear air. The alt is rpo K68 which is supposed to be 105 amp according to the manual. The terminals on the alt plug are labeled P L F S. The L term has the brown wire and the F term has the pink & black wire. The alt post has the large gauge wire to the bat and a smaller fusible link wire. With the SI alt the fusible link wire goes to the fuse block, so I assume this one does too. The pink/black wire has 12+ volts with the key in the run position and when I pulled the gage/idle fuse it had no voltage, so it must go to the splice with all the other pink/black wires from that fuse. Interestingly the brown wire has no voltage with the key in the run position even though the diagram for the ign switch shows it hot in run, I guess it goes somewhere different than the diagram shows. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif So much for the accuracy of the factory diagrams!