Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

88' tbi ...do I have to use the serpentine system or AIR pump stuff?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by juanblzer, May 9, 2003.

1. juanblzer

juanblzer 1/2 ton status

88\' tbi ...do I have to use the serpentine system or AIR pump stuff?

I just removed the tbi,harness,fuellines,manifolds etc. from my donor 88'gmc1500. Do I have to use the serpentine system? What about the airpump system. It seems that the previous owner capped the part that goes into the passenger exhaust manifold port? Do any sensors tie into the serpentine system and do any sensors tie into the AIR/smog pump? Thanks in advance.
    juan

2. BUDDY

BUDDY 1/2 ton status

Re: 88\' tbi ...do I have to use the serpentine system or AIR pump stuff?

I don't think you'd have to use the serpentine system at all, so if you aren't going to use that stuff I'd take it off of your hands for shipping!! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif Seriously, I've been looking for a serp. setup for a while, but they are an arm & a leg at the junkyards up here. Let me know if you want to get rid of it.

Thanks,

Buddy

3. mcmlxix

mcmlxix Registered Member

I bought an 88 K5 Blazer to pull the TBI 350 for a swap. I dont think mine had a sepentine setup? Was it only on the PUs?

4. MousePowrd

MousePowrd 1/2 ton status

88 K5's did not have serpentine belts, they still had V belts. I dont know what year they changed, but my 91 has a serpentine belt. Probably changed in 89.

The serpentine belt is a better setup, almost zero squealing belts and it always stays tight. Also saves a couple hp

5. DukeBoy88

DukeBoy88 1/2 ton status

88 K5's had a serpentine belt to the alternator only, the rest were v-belts, kind of odd setup. atleast thats what mine has.

6. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

the cars in 85 started with mix and match v betl and narrow serpentine about half width as normal serpentine

i assume trucks did same, at least on the 305s anyways, i think just alt was serp til like 89 or so like already said