Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

88' tbi ...do I have to use the serpentine system or AIR pump stuff?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by juanblzer, May 9, 2003.

1. juanblzer

juanblzer 1/2 ton status

88\' tbi ...do I have to use the serpentine system or AIR pump stuff?

I /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif just removed the tbi,harness,fuellines,manifolds etc. from my donor 88'gmc1500. Do I have to use the serpentine system? What about the airpump system. It seems that the previous owner capped the part that goes into the passenger exhaust manifold port? Do any sensors tie into the serpentine system and do any sensors tie into the AIR/smog pump? Thanks in advance.
    juan

2. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Re: 88\' tbi ...do I have to use the serpentine system or AIR pump stuff?

No you do not have to use the serp. setup, but depending on your location you may fail a visual inspection for emissions equipment.

You do not have any sensors and such that will mess up without the serp setup.

John

3. mosesburb

mosesburb For Rent Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Being that you are retrofitting it into your Blazer, if the Blazer didn't have an air pump you should be able to get away with it. Not legal to the exact letter of the law, but most "inspectors" won't even notice. I would, however, get exhaust manifolds without provisions for the pipes. Not completely necessary, but that would be a visual tip-off for them (don't give them any ammo to use against you). Your serpentine is not necessary. If you go with a V-belt setup you will need to change your water pump and fan to a std rotation instead of reverse rotation like the serpentine setup uses. No sensors tie into the use of the serpentine setup, and the only plug you may have left over when you finish is the diverter valve actuator harness (two wire connector). I've run vehicles that had them without hooking them up without problems, so you should be ok. If you're not going to use the serpentine setup, I may know someone interested in taking it off you hands. PM me if you're going to get rid of it.
    God luck,
    Nick

4. azblazor

azblazor 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Juan
    Give me a call if you want to do some wiring on Saturday.
    Mark

5. mcmlxix

mcmlxix Registered Member

I bought an 88 K5 to swap the motor into my 70 k5. I dont think mine had the sepentine setup. Is it different for the Blazers then the PUs?