Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

88 tbi running rich

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ron88k5, Feb 10, 2004.

1. ron88k5

ron88k5 Registered Member

my 88 k5 350 tbi is running real rich i've done a tuneup changed the o2 sensor ran codes did'nt have any i was thinking cat was bad but i dont know any ideas /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

2. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

Hook up a fuel pressure gauge and see how high you FP is with the truck running. PS...how do you know it is running rich?
    Chris

3. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

Did you get a code 45 ?
    Besides changing O2 my book says check charcoal canister and fuel pressure regulator vacuum line for gas.

Mine just went the other way, got a lean code, fuel filter was plugged.

4. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

You may need to disconnect the battery cable for 5 minutes or so to reset the ECM. Reconnect it. Run the vehicle. Then scan for codes. If you are running way rich you should be throwing some codes.Usually 45. The ECM may be in bypass mode and may not throw codes untill reset.
    Among many other things. A bad coolant temp sensor can cause a rich condition.

5. Fubeca

Fubeca 1/2 ton status

You really only need to remove power for 25-30 seconds. If you're lazy like me you can just remove the ECM fuse for the same amount of time, then you don't have to reset your radio. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif