Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

88 Transfer Case Capabilities?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by LIL QIK, Feb 18, 2005.

1. LIL QIK

LIL QIK Registered Member

I was hoping someone could give me an idea of what the 88 model transfer case could handle in respects to power and torque. It's the aluminum transfer case for those a little unfamiliar with the year.

I've got a twin turbo 383 that I'm thinking of dropping into the truck. I've already got the Art Carr trans behind it....but am a little unsure of the transfer case holding up. If it does cut loose..........does anyone know if they are hard to rebuild.

A apologize if this has already been asked.....but my searches were know good.

Thanks for any and all advice.

I know it's little un-orthodox to drop so much power into a big old truck......but I really like the truck and I'm totally comfortable driving it. Not to mention the 68 Camaro it was originally going in is a long way off from being completed.

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

The NP 208 case (which is what you probably have) can take some decent amounts of power. If you are going to be stomping on the pedal hard alot then I would swap in an NP205 just to be safe.

I rockcrawl my NP208 case with very little problems. It works great and offers a good lowrange. It is easy to rebuild. If you are going to be slamming on it hard then you might want something a little more stout but if you are half way sane then I would run it.

Its your choice though. An NP208 could survive, and an NP205 should survive.

Harley

3. Hossbaby50

P.S. I have a 300HP crate 350SBC with TPI injection on it. I have a decent amount of power (not a 383 w/turbo though) and I am not affraid to floor the pedal when I feel like it on the street or offroad. I am more worried that my 700R4 is going to blow up then I am about my NP208. If the 208 breaks I can always fix that in very short order.

Harley

4. LIL QIK

LIL QIK Registered Member

Thanks........I appreciate the reply. I won't be stomping on it or anything like that. And it doesnt' have a stall so there won't be any sudden jolts to the system. I hardly ever go off road with it. The engine normally puts out 1000 hp and 1200 tq............but I firgure that I can just turn the boost down while in the K5..........Is the 205 the cast iron case and if I decide to run it........what other changes will I need to make?

5. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

sounds like you need to step up to something a little more heavy duty. that kind of power will not only eat the trans and transfer case, but through gear reduction will likely kill even the beefiest of 1 ton axles.

6. Hossbaby50

Wow, 1000hp and 1200ft, that is probably more then I would be willing to run threw a 208 or a 700R4. For that kind of power I would seriously look into a T400 & NP205 case. I would also have the TH400 beefed up a little bit just because.

The major things you would have to change is driveshafts, and use the crossmember from the TH400/205 setup. Otherwise it is pretty bolt in. Tcase shifter hole would probably need moved too, but I don't know that for sure.

If you drive like a grandma then a 700R4/208 might work for awhile, but I don't think either of them are going to take that kind of power for an extended amount of time. Even the most beefy 700R4's I have seen are only rated to about 600-700HP.

I knew a 383 with turbo would be a stout motor but I didn't think it would have numbers like that. :blush:

Harley

7. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

I'd say you'll definately need a 205 or an Atlas case. Your transmission will also be on its way out too with that much power. I have no idea what kind of tranny would hold up to that....maybe a planetary drag racing tranny....:D