Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

88-up Pickup T-case fit a 73-91 K5?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by plowboy77, Oct 2, 2006.

1. plowboy77

plowboy77 Registered Member

I know a lot of people do solid axle conversions on the 88-up pickups but wasn't sure what they did about a transfer case...do they mate up a passenger side drop case, mount a divorced case, or if they used a Ford :eek1: front axle?
    If they mate up a passenger side drop case, I was wondering if it would work in reverse. If a transfer case from a 88-up pickup (92-up blazer) with the driver's side front output would bolt up to a 1980's-1991 K5 transmission?

Mixin' and matchin'

Thanks!
    R

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

With the IFS to SFA swap , many use drivers drop axles and the existing case .

For a pass side case , a np208 , or np241 would bolt to the IFS trucks tranny . As both had the round 6 bolt pattern .

However I do not know whats in the way , or what you need to cut to run a pass drop case . Maybe exhaust rework too .

Seems simpler to us the existing case , and a evil Ford front d44 or d60 .

3. AJMBLAZER

AJMBLAZER Better to be lucky than good. Premium Member

Evil? The Ford Danas are reverse cut high pinion axles...superior strength to the GM equivalents.

I looked into this with my '92 Blazer K1500 and had both options. I eventually started down the road towards the Ford D44 because it was simpler. To use the SFA t-case I'd have had to reroute the exhaust, rework at least one crossmember, and generally deal with stuff that I wouldn't have had to otherwise.