Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

88K5 Cig. Lighter

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by backlash, Dec 5, 2001.

1. backlash

backlash 1/2 ton status

So, there I was, got in the truck with door still open and plugged in my charger for the cell phone. Pop! Interior light goes out ... yada yada. The charger came apart shorted and welded the piece to the lighter holder.

I'm lazy and it was dark! Anyone replace this. Looks like a two piece unit when the ashtray is pulled. Is the outer part (chrome?) a pressure fit or is the back part screwed in to the outer part from behind...

Thanks

2. backlash

backlash 1/2 ton status

anybody?

3. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

Some are threaded, some are press fit, with threaded being the most common. I just replaced mine last week, and it was threaded, if that does you any good[​IMG]

......And knowing is half the battle
    <a target="_blank" href=http://pugsley.alloffroad.com>pugsley.alloffroad.com</a>

4. TwoCrowsDesign

TwoCrowsDesign 1/2 ton status

When you replace it, make sure to get a good ground on the ashtray or you'll keep popping fuses.

John

5. GONZO2

GONZO2 1/2 ton status

he he your lucky it just popped a fuse. shortly after i bought my truck i was looking to see why the lighter was disconnected and saw a wire loose. so i put it back together and it worked great. 10 min later i'm driving down the road and notice a burning smell, then the smokey look in the truck hits me. sh*t lighter is on fire. [​IMG] pulled it out and haven't touched it since.

<font color=blue>85 blazer</font color=blue> 4" lift, 35" pro comp mt, locked out back
    <font color=blue>88 blazer</font color=blue>mostly stock
    <font color=blue>99 30th ann. TA</font color=blue>
    <font color=blue>79 TA</font color=blue>

6. K5Jimmy

K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I popped something when I plugged in my cellphone charger also....didn't burn or hurt anything, but I noticed that when I hit my horn .....the dang interior lights came on!!!!...(WTF?)...., so I changed the fuse, and everything was normal....since then, I use that sleeve adaptor thingy for my charger, and have not had any furthur probs.....the charger plug is slightly smaller diameter than the lighter, and the adaptor sleeve ups the diameter for a proper fit.....thought ya just might wanna know......JD

Stuck?...Hell no..I still got some gas left..

7. backlash

backlash 1/2 ton status

And I thought Murphy was following me! LOL!

8. backlash

backlash 1/2 ton status

That's pretty funny. Ain't electricity strange? Before I changed the fuse the radio worked fine, but all the presets were cancelled, and would not take hold until I changed the bad fuse. Not even the same circuit!